Check the topics below for more information on how to secure housing while a student here at CBU.

Undergraduate Students

CBU requires that all undergraduate students who are under the age of 21 live in on-campus housing. This is for a variety of reasons, but for international students we have seen that living on campus helps undergraduate students feel more connected to the campus community, calm safety concerns, and place them in close proximity to their classes, on-campus meals and campus resources. We have found that our undergraduate students love their on-campus experience here at CBU! Check out CBU's Residence Life page to learn more about the on-campus housing options for undergraduate students.

Graduate Students

CBU also has excellent on-campus housing options available for graduate students! Graduate student housing is available via CBU-owned homes that surround the campus in nearby neighborhoods. Graduate housing is close enough for students to walk or bike to campus, and the houses are shared with other CBU graduate students. Here are some basic details about CBU’s on-campus graduate housing:

  • Multi-bedroom homes with 1 student occupying each room
  • Shared bathrooms
  • Shared full kitchen
  • Furnished by CBU
  • Utilities, internet and yard maintenance included in the overall cost
  • No married or family housing is currently available

All on-campus housing is first-come-first-served, so we encourage students who are interested in on-campus housing to apply as soon as they are sure they will be attending CBU.

To apply to live on campus, please fill out the housing application here

Living off-campus is only a viable option for CBU's graduate students or undergraduate students who are over the age of 21. CBU does not assist students in securing off-campus housing; however, we encourage you to use the information and resources below if you are looking to live away from CBU's campus.

Although care has been taken to identify widely-used online listing resources, California Baptist University does not investigate, endorse or guarantee of any listings or referrals or the suitability of those on listing sites. Users are strongly encouraged to investigate potential accommodations and interview potential roommates personally.

The websites listed below will provide a way for you to search for apartments, condos, townhomes and houses in the area that are available for rent. Riverside is a large city, so we recommend using CBU’s zip code (92504) when searching.

When apartment/house hunting keep in mind location, cost, safety, and ease to public transportation (if you do not have a car). For transportation around Riverside, you can look at the bus schedules via the Riverside Transit Authority. CBU's International Center also has a limited number of bicycles for rent each semester at a low cost.

Please be cautious when selecting an off-campus location for your housing. While we would love to assist as much as possible we cannot guarantee that scammers or bad landlords will not have ads posted on some other sites that are not vetted like the ones above.  Furthermore, CBU cannot assist with getting students out of a lease or housing contract if one is signed for an off-campus housing assignment.

If you have hesitation about a listing please contact our office and we can try to offer advice.

Complex Name Distance to CBU Address Phone Number Website
Cedar Streams Apartments 0.3 km / 0.2 miles 8743 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92503 951-689-1023
Casa Flores 0.6 km / 0.4 miles 8123 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504 951-687-1948
Jefferson Point Apartments 0.9 km / 0.6 miles 3742 Jefferson Street, Riverside, CA 92504 None available
Sago Palms Apartments 1.5 km / 0.9 miles 3636-3646 Jackson Street, Riverside, CA 92503 844-841-5305 None available
Melrose Manor Apartments 1.8 km / 1.1 miles 4118-4144 Melrose Street, Riverside, CA 92504 951-344-0071 None available
Madison Park Apartments 2.1 km / 1.3 miles 3571 Madison Street, Riverside, CA 92504 951-785-6800
Casa de Jerardo Apartments 2.3 km / 1.4 miles 3570 Madison Street, Riverside, CA 92504 951-689-8989
Richelieu Apartments 2.7 km / 1.7 miles 7431 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504 951-688-8718
Arlington Gardens 2.9 km / 1.8 miles 4661 Arlington Ave, Riverside, CA 92504 951-684-7140 None available
Palm Central South Apartments 3.4 km / 2.1 miles 6655 Palm Ave, Riverside, CA 92504 None available
The Meadows Apartments 5.4 km / 3.4 miles 10601 Diana Ave, Riverside, CA 92505 951-785-4100

Another resource that CBU provides is a way for international students to know who else is in need of an off-campus roommate. If you are interested in finding roommates, please join our Facebook group “CBU Roommate Connect” to meet other new incoming CBU students who are also planning on living off-campus.

What do I need when applying for an apartment?

Once you are interested in a particular apartment/house you will need to fill out an application. This can be obtained through the leasing office at the apartment you are interested in. Along with your application you will also need to provide a copy of your passport and a bank statement (it is recommended for you to show 3 months’ worth of rent).

What is renter’s insurance and is it needed?

While not all apartment complexes require renter’s insurance, we do highly recommend it. Renters insurance protects your belongings in case of fire, theft, or damage. Depending on the policy it may also cover earthquake and floods. The payment per month is small compared to the amount it covers if the worst does happen and you need to replace your belongings, cover apartment damages, or pay for a hotel stay while your home is being repaired.

The apartment is asking for a Social Security Number, but I do not have one. Is that a problem?

Often housing offices want a Social Security Number to help run a background check and credit history. While this is a common form of identification for Americans, an SSN can be difficult to obtain for an international student. It is important to note that Under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, housing offices are not allowed to deny a student based on not having a Social Security Number. Typically, since they are unable to do a credit check or background check, leasing offices will want a larger deposit as a form of security if an applicant does not have an SSN.

California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by housing providers based on the following:

  • Race, color
  • Ancestry, national origin
  • Religion
  • Disability, mental or physical
  • Sex, gender
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity, gender expression
  • Genetic information
  • Marital status
  • Familial status
  • Source of income
  • Citizenship*
  • Primary language*
  • Immigration status*

*Covered under the Unruh Civil Rights Act, which applies to most housing accommodations in California

If you are experiencing discrimination from a housing option, you can file a complaint at

Will the apartment or house require a security deposit or contract?

Once your application has been approved the next step would be to pay your housing deposit and sign a rental agreement. This deposit will cover any damages done to the apartment and may protect the owner from missed rent payments. The amount of security deposit required will vary by location. However, since most international students do not have a credit history you can expect a deposit to be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to two months’ rent.

At a minimum, a lease or rental agreement should include the following:

  • Monthly rent due
  • Required damage deposit
  • Length of occupancy if a lease, or state month-to-month rental
  • Apartment or house rules
  • Termination requirements
  • Information on what will happen if you leave the property before the lease is up
How should I avoid rental fraud?
  • Choose your apartment wisely! There are many sites out there with apartment listings but not all of them may be trustworthy.
  • Look up reviews on the apartment online and see what others have experienced.
  • If you’re in the United States already, make sure to visit in person.
  • Avoid non-traditional forms of payment. Common forms of payment include cash, check and money order. If you do pay in cash, make sure to get a receipt.
What other bills should I consider when looking at apartment costs and my budget?

Aside from your monthly rent it is important to be prepared to pay other monthly utilities. Rent for some apartments may include a few of the utilities; however, most of them will require you to set up and pay on your own. Typical utilities include water, electricity, gas, and trash. You also will need to consider the cost of Internet, gas to get to and from your apartment if you are driving, cable TV, etc.

What do I need to furnish my apartment?

Most apartments in the Riverside area are unfurnished. This means that you will need to bring or buy most of the items you would like in your home. For example, some apartments in the area allow you to rent your refrigerator from the apartment complex and add it into your monthly rent. However, at others you will need to buy a used or new one elsewhere. We understand this can get expensive, so here are some resources that may help:

  • CORT: Furniture rental company that will allow you to rent almost anything you will need in your new place. Payment is a monthly fee and can be customized to fit your needs.
  • Bedding Packs: CBU’s International Center does sell a bag that includes: a pillow, comforter, sheets, and towel. This is a great way to get started on what you need. Bedding packs are $30 and can be picked up in the International Center when you arrive.
  • Riverside has a variety of stores to meet whatever your needs are for furniture and supplies. If you need some guidance on what store would be good you can always ask the International Center staff. For a helpful list of essential items, you can visit this website.

Contact the International Center

Phone: (951) 343-4690

Lancer Arms 56
8432 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504

Intensive English Program

IEP Director: Heather Snavely

International Student and Scholar Services

ISSS Director: Courtney Watson

Find your DSO.