Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find frequently asked questions. Some questions are related to all graduating students and some questions are specific to your degree type. So, be sure to scroll down and read all questions pertaining to your status.
- If I'm a Graduate, what do I do the day of Commencement?Arrive at the Recreation Center for Grad Check-In, wearing your cap, gown and other approved regalia. Make sure your cap is pinned and hair is sprayed (if needed). You must check in before your ceremony is scheduled to begin. Your check in time is one hour prior to your Commencement ceremony. Staff will direct Graduates to the correct area for line up, and will be available to answer questions, give instructions, and direct graduates for the processional.
- When do I receive my actual diploma?
Please allow 6 - 8 weeks after your posting date for diplomas to be shipped.
Students who meet the following qualifications will receive their diploma at the address they provided on the graduation application:
- The student has applied for and has been approved for their requested posting date.
- The student has all outstanding degree requirements met. (All coursework has been completed and all outstanding grades and official transcripts have been received.)
- The student has been cleared to receive their diploma by both the Financial Aid and Student Accounts Offices.
For more information on posting dates, contact the Registrar's Office.
- What time do I need to arrive for the Commencement ceremony?All graduates will need to arrive at the CBU Recreation Center and check in one hour prior to their scheduled ceremony. Please arrive early to enable ample time for parking in Parking Structure off of Adams St. and Lancer Lane. Guests will be allowed to enter the Events Center one hour prior to the ceremony.
- How long is the Commencement ceremony?The Commencement ceremony is about 1 hour long.
- Is there a rehearsal?There is not a rehearsal, however; Graduates will receive their walking cards and all instructions at Grad Check-In, one hour prior to the ceremony.
- How many guests may I invite?Each Graduate will receive up to 11 tickets. Click here for more information regarding guest tickets.
- Do I need to return my cap and gown?No, your cap and gown do not need to be returned. They are yours to keep. Click here for more information about regalia.
- What if I (the Graduate) need special accommodations?If you (the Graduate) need special accommodations, please fill out the Graduate Only - ADA Accommodations Requests form so that we may better assist you at your Commencement.
- Is there special seating for guests who need accommodations?To obtain ADA accommodations or limited mobility seating for guests, please fill out the Attending Guests Only - ADA Accommodations Requests form. DO NOT CLAIM YOUR GUEST TICKETS WITH YOUR PROMO CODE SENT TO YOUR LANCER MAIL IN JULY.
- I have a guest who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Is there an accommodation for this?
For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Closed Captioning will be available by QR Code. Sign Language Interpreting (ASL) is ONLY AVAILABLE BY REQUEST ON THE FORM BY JULY 25.
- Are confetti, noisemakers, or balloons permitted?NO CONFETTI of any kind is allowed on campus, for pictures or in the Events Center. Noisemakers and Balloons are NOT permitted in the Events Center.
Bachelor Degree Candidates
- When will I get my honor cords?Honor cords will be given at Grad Finale to qualified Bachelor degree candidates. Click here for more information about honor cords. For questions about honors or cords, please see the Registrar's table at Grad Finale.
- How do I know if I qualify for honors?Honors are determined by a student's cumulative grade point average at the completion of the previous semester. Contact the Registrar's Office to verify your eligibility.
Master Degree Candidates
- When will I receive my hood?You will pick up your hood at Grad Finale, when you pick up your Regalia. Check with your department/school for more information about the Hooding Ceremonies.
Doctoral Degree Candidates
- How do I take my measurements for my regalia?You will be emailed instructions to assist in taking your specific measurements for your Doctoral gown. Please contact the department secretary of your school or college for more information.