While we are busy planning our next event, please check out recordings from the archives. If you have an idea for an event, please email it to CSHB@calbaptist.edu.
- February 2023, Dr. Myron A. Penner (Trinity Western University, Humanities & Social Sciences), presented "Building a Vibrant Multidisciplinary Research Program: Obstacles and Opportunities" (slides available here).
- October 2022, Dr. Sarah Schnitker (Baylor University, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience), presented "How Religiousness and Spirituality Both Facilitate and Undermind Virtue Development" (slides available here). She also presented a workshop on tips to succeed in research, which included activities related to reframing rejection, mental contrasting and implementation intention, and identifying mentor networks.
- January 2022, Dr. Ward B. Davis (Wheaton College, School of Psychology, Counseling and Family Therapy) presented "An Open Science of Religion and Spirituality? Problems, Myths, and Possibilities" and "Religious-Spiritual Development and Positive Psychology - Toward an Integrative Theory."
- October 2021, Dr. Kenneth Wang (Fuller Theological Seminary, School of Psychology & Marriage and Family Therapy) presented “Finishing Well: Tips on Completing Dissertations and Publishing Research.” In addition to the event recording, a pdf of the slides is available here. Templates and additional resources mentioned in the presentation are available at Wang’s website.
- October 2021, Angelica Diaz (Director of Research Initiatives, California Baptist University) presented on best practices for finding and receiving grants.
- April 2021, Dr. Lynette Bikos (Seattle Pacific University) presented "MaskMaking as Calling during the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Qualitative Considerations (Part 1)" and "The Nitty Gritty Details (Part 2)." In addition to the event recordings, PDFs of the slides are also available for Part 1 and Part 2.
- October 2019, Dr. Peter Hill (Biola University) presented "Grace, Gratitude, and Humility: Religious Inflections in the Psychology of the Ordinary."
- February 2019, Dr. Robert LaChausse (CBU, Health Sciences) presented a “Writing Workshop.”
- January 2019, Dr. Daniel David (James Madison University) presented on “Translating Science to Practice: Is Evidence-Based Teaching Even Possible?”
- November 2018, Emily Shotick and Jana Parizer (APA, Washington DC) presented on "APA Style Central."
- October 2018, Dr. Erin Smith (CBU, IRB chair) presented on "IRB Processes."
- October 2018, Dr. Kenneth T. Wang (Fuller Theological Seminary, School of Psychology) presented on "Scale Development and Survey Design: Practical Tips." (View PowerPoint.)
- February 2018, Matthew Goddard (CBU, digital services librarian) presented on “Leveraging Digital Tools in Research.”
- January 2018, Dr. Erin Smith (CBU, IRB chair) presented on “Navigating the IRB.” (Note: IRB policies may change; you are encouraged to check the IRB Handbook for the most up-to-date procedures.)
- October 2017, Dr. Kate Sweeny (UCR, psychology) presented on “Mentoring Students in Research.”
- 2017–2018 Schedule of Events
Student Research Colloquium
From 2017-2020, the CSHB co-sponsored the Student Research Colloquium, bringing students from the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, College of Health Science, College of Nursing, and School of Education together to present their research in poster and oral presentations. More information about these past events, including lists of presenters invited after peer review by CBU faculty, can be found here.