Interested in getting a US Social Security Number? Read more about the process below.

A Social Security Number (or SSN) is an identity card specific to individuals residing in the United States. It is often used to verify someone's identification for things like applying for a driver's license, renting an apartment or purchasing a home. It also tracks someone's financial records. Everyone who is born in the United States is assigned an SSN at birth, and that number never changes. 

You need an SSN in order to work an on-campus job here at CBU.

An SSN is issued once per lifetime. If you have previously had an SSN, but do not have the card or do not remember the number, you can apply for a duplicate card if you meet the eligibility requirements listed below.

Your application for an SSN will go to the Social Security Administration Office. The closest SSA Office is located at:


Check the website above for current office times, contact information and appointment information. 

In order for an F-1 student to be issued an SSN the student must have a job offer from an on-campus department first. The Social Security office will not process your application if your work does not begin within 30 days of your application date. You must then submit documents, all in original form, to the SSA Office. No photocopies are accepted.

Once you have a job offer that begins within 30 days you will need to bring the following documents to the Social Security Office:

  • A completed application for a Social Security Card
  • A letter from the department hiring you (on official CBU letterhead) that includes:
    • Your full name
    • A statement that you have been hired for an on-campus job
    • Your full name
    • The department you will work for
    • Your job title
    • Your start date
    • How many hours you will be working per week
    • The Employer Identification Number (EIN), and
    • Your supervisor’s name and phone number
  • A letter from the International Center that confirms you are a current F-1 student
  • A valid passport
  • Your most recent I-94 
  • A valid and Active I-20

Please refer to the SSA Office's website to see if mailing-in these documents is an option, or if you must take them into the office in person. 

It can take up to 6 weeks from the time you apply for a card, until you receive it in the mail. After you submit your application you will receive confirmation verifying you applied for a Social Security Card.


Contact the International Center

Phone: (951) 343-4690

Lancer Arms 56
8432 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504

Intensive English Program

IEP Director: Heather Snavely

International Student and Scholar Services

ISSS Director: Courtney Watson

Find your DSO.