F-1 students - Yes. Full-time F-1 students on an Active I-20 are allowed to work on-campus, up to 20-hours a week, provided the work will not interfere with their full-time enrollment or delay their degree completion. Any and all off-campus employment (including CPT for an internship, practicum hours or clinical hours) is not permissible without prior approval from the International Center. 

J-1 students - No. J visa students are not eligible for employment while in the United States.

No, F & J visa students are not allowed to work off-campus jobs without prior authorization (like through approved CPT or USCIS-approved Economic Hardship). Please refrain from working, or volunteering, at any off-campus location, as this would be a violation of your F-1 visa regulation.

If you need to work off-campus for a degree-related reason (like a required internship or practicum class) you must be approved for CPT prior to starting your off-campus job or volunteer work. Please contact your DSO before starting any off-campus work so we may advise you accordingly. 

Yes! As an F-1 student you are eligible to apply and work for any of the on-campus jobs posted on CBU's job posting site, Handshake. If you need help with the website please contact the CBU Career Center

F-1 students can work up to 20 hours when class is in session, and up to 28 hours when class is not in session. This will be dependent on your program rotation, not just the academic calendar. 

Exceeding these hours when you are not permitted would be a violation of your visa regulations. 

Job openings are posted online here: http://www.calbaptist.edu/career. You are welcome to apply for any of the on-campus jobs posted on the Career Center's website.

Once you are offered an on-campus job you need to obtain a Social Security Card. Once you have received your SSN you may begin your job. Click here for more information about applying for an SSN.


There are two basic kinds of accounts in the US:

  • Checking accounts - For payment of regular bills and shopping needs
  • Savings accounts - Where money you do not need to use immediately can earn interest

To open a bank account, take your CBU student ID card, your passport, and some cash to the bank of your choice. It is a good idea to contact the bank first to verify what documents you need to bring with you in order to open an account.

Checking accounts: When opening a checking account, be sure to ask about different types of checking accounts. All banks have several kinds of accounts, so you should always review your options. Be sure to look at the account fees and when they may be charged. After opening an account you will be given a book of temporary checks. You can also order checks with your name and local address printed on them.

Writing a check: Checks should be filled out at the time you are making a payment. An example of how to write a check is given below. Fill in all blank spaces on your check. The amount should be written numerically and in longhand. Never sign a check before you are ready to use it, since it can be cashed as soon as your signature is on it. Most merchants will require that you show one or two pieces of photo ID to accept your check. These can be a California Driver's License or Identification Card, a passport, or other official ID.

If you earned any income while in the United States then yes, you will need to file taxes. Please contact your supervisor at your on-campus job for information on how to get tax documents.

Unfortunately, our office is unable to assist with filing taxes. However, this resource from Study in the States has a lot of great information on how to file taxes.

Have questions that weren't answered here? Contact our staff and we'd be happy to help!

Contact the International Center

Email: international.center@calbaptist.edu
Phone: (951) 343-4690

Lancer Arms 56
8432 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504

Intensive English Program

IEP Director: Heather Snavely
Email: hsnavely@calbaptist.edu

International Student and Scholar Services

ISSS Director: Courtney Watson
Email: cwatson@calbaptist.edu

Find your DSO.