Online Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
Translate your passion for fitness into a career guiding others toward optimal health and wellness.
Support Communities Through Health and Wellness Promotion
Fitness — whether running or strength training — leaves you energized. You notice the effects on your body, including strength and greater endurance, and on your cognitive and emotional health. In thinking about your purpose and how you can serve others in our world, California Baptist University’s online Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree program translates your interest in fitness into an entry-level career focusing on physical activity and lifestyle habits at individual and community levels. This body of knowledge opens the door to various roles in fitness and wellness-related fields and paves the way ahead to multiple graduate health science programs.
*with a full-time course load
*Based on current academic year. Subject to change.
Why Earn Your B.S. in Kinesiology (Online) at CBU?
Fitness provides motivation and strength, while your faith fuels and nourishes your being. CBU combines these two spheres through a fully online program encouraging your personal, spiritual and social growth. Through a rigorous curriculum preparing you for key certifications and graduate school, you’ll begin to see fitness as both a form of personal guidance and community support:
- Prepare to enter multiple health and wellness professions: Where do you see yourself making a difference? A bachelor’s in kinesiology equips you with the essential knowledge base to pursue an entry-level, hands-on role in fitness, athletic training, teaching, coaching or an allied health field. Our curriculum further meets entrance requirements for various health science graduate programs, including nutrition, athletic training, physical therapy and sports science.
- Rigorous curriculum: Expand what you know about fitness and how the body operates. The curriculum for the online B.S. in Kinesiology blends physical education and exercise science while stressing how theories are applied in multiple health and wellness contexts.
- Applied emphasis: Fully online courses are taught by professionals with experience in the field, including public school teachers and recreation and athletic directors. They not only instruct you on topics related to movement and health but weave their real-world insights into lectures and discussions.
- Effective preparation: The structure of the online Bachelor’s in Kinesiology aligns with National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) standards. Coursework prepares you to sit for each organization’s certification exam.
- Learn Flexibly Online, On Your Schedule
- Classes start every 8 weeks
- Accelerated, asynchronous courses offered 100% online
- Three semesters offered year round allows students the ability to graduate faster
- Transfer friendly — consolidate your undergraduate college credits and finish your degree
What You'll Learn
The online Bachelor’s in Kinesiology involves 50 units of coursework in addition to CBU’s general education requirements. The program is divided into three sequences: lower division requirements (11 units), upper division kinesiology requirements (21 units) and upper division electives (12 units). You’ll learn about:
- Anatomy and physiology, including how organ, musculoskeletal and endocrine systems function.
- First aid and safety techniques in line with Red Cross and other certification requirements.
- The human body’s muscle and bone structure and how these two systems influence movement.
- Personal and community health and their effects on the human body.
- The scientific, historical and philosophical foundations of kinesiology.
- Physical growth and development along the lifespan in relation to movement.
- Care and prevention for athletic injuries.
- Exercise physiology and how the body’s systems move and respond.
- Sociological and psychological effects of physical activity, including motivation, competition and confidence.
- Research design and data collection methods used in kinesiology.
Consistent with the university student outcomes, upon completion of the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree, graduates will be able to:
- Effectively present information orally and in writing, and demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology.
- Effectively and responsibly communicate relevant information to demographically varied populations.
- Research, describe and apply the functions of the human body as they relate to human performance, exercise, activity and physical development.
- Describe functions of the human body and implement appropriate interventions as they relate to issues of health and wellness.
- Identify and describe the proper avenues for professional development and career advancement.
- Describe, design, and demonstrate appropriate methods of teaching and application of kinesiology-related skills.
- Integrate faith, values and ethics in the practical application of kinesiology.
KIN 302: Contemporary Health Issues
Major areas include personal, family and community health, including the effects of alcohol, dangerous drugs and narcotics, degenerative and infectious diseases and tobacco on the human body. Exploration of community resources related to health issues is offered. Meets California Teacher Credential requirements.
KIN 353: Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
A course providing instruction and experience in the prevention and care of injuries incurred in athletics. Methods of taping, therapy, health habits and protective equipment are considered.
KIN 383: Exercise Physiology
Physiological principles of exercise. Topics include the responses and adaptations of the neuromuscular system, bioenergetics and the endocrine, cardiovascular and pulmonary systems to exercise.
Is financial aid available to help pay for online programs?
Our online degrees offer a reputable and more affordable option for earning your bachelor’s, master's or doctorate degree. When pursuing an online degree, students are freed from the financial obligations that accompany some traditional degrees, such as room accommodations, gas and parking. Additionally, CBU has partnered with select employers to provide their employees with the opportunity to improve their career through their educational goals and receive a 20% tuition scholarship. Learn more about tuition and financial aid.
Are CBU's online programs accredited?
California Baptist University (CBU), which includes all programs offered online, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Many prospective students are uncertain about which college degrees employers or universities will accept. This regional accreditation by WSCUC means you can be confident that your CBU degree is recognized and respected by schools and companies across the country.
CBU Online has received various awards and has been ranked in the top 50 in the nation - best online bachelor’s degree category by U.S. News & World Report for 7 consecutive years.
What resources do I need to complete my degree online?
To complete your online degree, you will need access to a computer, Wi-Fi and a word processor like Microsoft Word. These are necessary to access the student learning system and complete your assignments. Some programs may require different resources. Check with your enrollment counselor for specific expectations upon applying for your program, or you can view additional information here.
When you complete and submit your application to CBU, a friendly and knowledgeable admissions counselor will guide you through the admissions process and all the necessary steps to become a Lancer.
CBU accepts applications for online enrollment throughout the year, and most online degree programs can start at 6 semester entry points per calendar year.
|2024 Online Semester
|Spring 2024 - Session 2
|Summer 2024 - Session 1
|Summer 2024 - Session 2
|Fall 2024 - Session 1
|Fall 2024 - Session 2
The CBU kinesiology program allows the student to focus on the essentials of movement anatomy, physiology, and the psychological aspects of sports. Though this provides the student with the mastery required to hit the work field running, the best part about CBU’s kinesiology program is the integrated faith. Prior to CBU, I had never applied faith and academics, nor did I know about the benefits of doing so. The vision embedded into the kinesiology program is not just educating the student on the health benefits of cardiovascular exercises and strength training, but more importantly, how we can be stewards of God by spreading the message that movement is a blessing that God has given us and should therefore be our opportunity to not only love through our words but also through our actions.
Due to growing awareness around the relationship between health and physical activity, demand for fitness occupations is predicted to surge over the next decade.
For individuals with a Bachelor’s in Kinesiology, this unique, multifaceted skill set equips you to embark on a career in sports medicine, fitness, athletic training, or nutrition and wellness, where you’ll embody Christ’s image through informed, compassionate guidance. As well, the program’s courses prepare you to apply for a teaching credential or a graduate program in kinesiology, athletic training, sports science, or another allied health area.
Potential job titles include:
- Exercise physiologist
- Athletic trainer
- Fitness trainer and instructor
*Some career possibilities may require further education.