Update 9/21/21: Please click here to view California CBEST and CSET requirements.

About the Program

  1. If I'm pursing the Single Subject Credential, do I need a B.S./B.A. in the same subject area?
    A B.S./B.A. in the same subject area as the credential is strongly recommended, but not required. Single subject candidates may satisfy subject matter competence by completing an approved academic program or by passing the appropriate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET).
  2. Can I apply any of the credential coursework to a master's degree?
    Yes. Credential coursework completed at the graduate level is degree applicable. Graduate credential and education courses can be applied to a Master of Science in Education. 
  3. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?
    Yes. Many students completing a credential or master's degree work while going to school. The program offers evening classes to accommodate the schedules of busy professionals. Please note, however, all teaching credential programs require students to complete a semester of full-time student teaching and during this summer, it is not recommended that you work.
  4. How long does a teacher education credential program take?
    The length of the program varies for each student depending on which credential you are pursuing and whether you add the master's degree in Education. Students who have already completed the pre-requisites may complete their credential in three semesters. 
  5. Can I transfer previous coursework completed at other colleges or universities to CBU's credential programs?
    Some courses may be transferable, up to 9 units. You may submit transcripts and course descriptions, and syllabi for courses you want to transfer. Your submission will be evaluated for transferability.
  6. When do classes meet?
    Graduate education classes are typically offered at 4:30PM and/or 7PM. Students are typically on campus 1-2 nights per week Monday-Thursday.
  7. Are the teacher education programs state-approved?
    Yes. The Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education credentialing programs are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for 2042 Multiple Subject, 2042 Single Subject, Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe, all with internship options. CBU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
  8. What are your pass rates?
    You can view CBU's pass rates on the State of California's Commission on Teacher Credentialing website.
  9. Will I be able to apply my credential to school systems outside of California?
    As credential requirements will vary from state to state, it is important to check with Department of Education for the state you are interested in to find out what you need. You may also click here for a tool to help you.



  1. What are the program's entry dates and application deadline?
    CBU's teaching credential programs offer a rolling admission policy and accept students for the fall, spring or summer semesters. Students may begin the program in any semester. Candidates are strongly encouraged to complete the application at least one month prior to the start of the semester.
  2. What are the program's prerequisites?
    The teaching credential program does not require pre-requisite courses in order to be eligible to apply. 
  3. What is the GPA requirement?
    Candidates must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for unconditional admission and a minimum 2.75 for conditional admission.  
  4. What exams must I pass before entering the credential program, to earn my credential, teach or student teach?

Credential candidates must meet the Basic Skills Requirement as part of the application process. This requirement can be met by: 

    1. Passing the CBEST
    2. Qualifying coursework
    3. A combination of both

Credential candidates must also submit the Subject Matter Competency field that they will be pursuing. The CSET is not required as part of the application process but may be required during the program. 

More information regarding these state exams and requirements can be found by clicking here. 

When students have successfully completed all credential requirements, a Preliminary Teaching Credential may be obtained, and is valid for five years. Within this five-year period, all other legislated requirements must be completed to obtain a Clear Credential. 

For more information on credential exam requirements, please contact a School of Education Credential Program Advisor at (951) 343-4448.


Student Teaching

  1. My fingerprints and clearances are already on file at the district where I am currently employed. Must I be fingerprinted again to begin this program?
    Yes. Unless you hold a current teaching credential, new fingerprints and a Certificate of Clearance are required prior to beginning the program.
  2. Will I be required to student teach as part of my credential coursework?
    Yes. For all teaching credential programs, coursework culminates in a semester of full-time student teaching affording students the opportunity to put theory into practice and develop their skills hands-on. Many of these teaching and internship experiences turn into employment opportunities.
  3. Are internship options available?
    All preliminary teaching credential programs offer an internship option for eligible candidates (with the exception of dual credential candidates) in a variety of educational settings.
  4. If I chose the internship option, will I still be required to student teach?
    Yes. However, your student teaching experience can be completed in your own classroom.


Financial Aid

  1. Is there any financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?
    Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for credential students, including the Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE) for teachers who plan to teach in the state of California. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at www.teachcalifornia.org or California Student Aid Commission's web site at www.csac.ca.gov.