Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Healthcare Administration
Major in Healthcare Administration at CBU! Gain the knowledge you need to improve healthcare delivery and make impactful contributions to the local and global communities.
Make Impactful Contributions to Your Community's Healthcare
Quality healthcare empowers communities to thrive. Healthcare administrators are essential to establishing streamlined healthcare systems and productive medical facilities that provide life-saving care.
California Baptist University’s Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration degree combines your desire to care for others with your interest in business management and healthcare systems, equipping you to serve as a manager and executive in nursing homes, rehab centers, hospitals and clinics.
Receive comprehensive training and develop the strong analytical and management skills required to oversee doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers. With this degree, you'll be prepared to ensure patients receive premium care and healthcare organizations run efficiently.
Why Earn Your Healthcare Administration Bachelor’s Degree From CBU?
Pursuing a healthcare administration degree provides you with the business acumen, in-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry and professional development opportunities required to lead and play a vital role in promoting community health and quality patient care.
Learn through rigorous coursework
The healthcare administration major follows the competencies and guidelines set forth by the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), which include coursework and training in healthcare ethics, finance, strategic planning, information technology, management and leadership. During your senior year, your studies culminate in a healthcare administration internship under the mentorship of an experienced healthcare leader to put your theoretical knowledge into practical application.
Work in the Field
At CBU, students’ hands-on learning is prioritized. Our healthcare administration majors gain valuable clinical experience and enhance their understanding of holistic healthcare by participating in field experiences. Not only do these opportunities develop students’ practical knowledge, but they also instill a desire to use their skills to engage in service projects on campus, in the local community and even abroad.
During the summer, students have exciting opportunities to travel overseas and serve as health professionals in different locations, including Tanzania, China and the Philippines. To prepare for participation in Global Health Engagement, students must take two courses: ALH 301 Global Health Engagement Seminar and ALH 401 Global Health Engagement Practicum.
What You'll Learn
In addition to CBU’s general education requirements, healthcare administration majors must complete 48 required units, which are divided into two sequences: lower-division requirements (six courses) and upper-division requirements (11 courses).
In the B.S. in Healthcare Administration program, learn about:
- Medical terminology.
- Micro and macroeconomics and their interconnection with the healthcare system.
- Career options and roles in the health, exercise and allied health professions.
- The U.S. healthcare delivery systems, including insurance, patient rights, physician liabilities, financing and other factors that impact the healthcare system.
- How to effectively communicate in healthcare settings.
- Principles and practices of human resource management, including recruitment, training and development and compensation and benefits.
- Current issues occurring in the healthcare system.
- Epidemiological principles and strategies to treat and prevent disease in human populations.
- The intricacies of healthcare policy creation and reform in the U.S.
- Fundamentals of health information systems and how to navigate ethical and legal issues around confidentiality, security, training and more.
- The legal foundations of healthcare, as well as ethical and legal issues related to data security, patient rights, professional liability and other topics.
Upon completion of the bachelor’s in healthcare administration degree, graduates will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the United States healthcare system.
- Demonstrate competence in health information literacy.
- Display effective professional communication skills.
- Develop skills to collaborate and consult as a strategic member of the healthcare team.
HCA 330: Health Information Systems
This course provides an overview of various health information systems.
HCA 410: Quality Improvement in Healthcare
Students learn the six sigma approach to process improvement in healthcare and have the opportunity to obtain certification.
HCA 490: Current Issues in Healthcare Administration
This course exposes students to current and relevant administrative issues prevalent within the healthcare sector.
Associate Professor of Public Health
Chair, Department of Public Health Sciences
Office Phone: 951-343-2176
Office Location: Health Science Campus H140
Tap into your God-given talents and be a part of promoting a more efficient and ethical healthcare system. If you want to pursue a bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, review all CBU’s undergraduate application requirements before applying.
[At CBU], I learned that I wanted to work with people at the individual level, and it reinforced my desire to be an occupational therapist. Since graduating, I have pursued graduate studies and have plans to continue for my doctorate.
Lindsey Britt '21
I chose this major because it was a perfect mix between health science and business. My dream is to become a CEO of a hospital, and this program is teaching me biblical ethics I will use for my future.
Lucas Mitose '20
I hope to someday manage a hospital, if not, some major healthcare facility. All of the professors are great and they've helped me connect with other professionals in my field. I've learned how to integrate Christ into the workplace and how I can use what I've learned to be the best I can be.
Raylene Sadorra '19
Healthcare Administration Careers
With their aptitude for organization, problem-solving and efficiency, healthcare administrators work behind the scenes to ensure healthcare professionals are well-trained and organized and to create a safe, efficient work environment. Healthcare administrators also are skilled business professionals who handle the logistics of running healthcare facilities, including financial decisions, human resources, internal and external communications and many other critical responsibilities.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects the employment of medical and health services managers to grow 28 percent annually, which is significantly faster than the national average.
- In addition to this promising employment rate, medical and health service managers have a desirable earning potential. Their median annual wage is $101,340 as of May 2021 but this can vary, depending on certain factors, such as education, state of employment and the type of healthcare facility.
Discover Your Purpose with a Bachelor’s in Healthcare Administration
At California Baptist University, you can uncover your healthcare calling and develop the skills necessary to manage health service facilities and lead teams of healthcare professionals as they deliver life-sustaining care. Take the next step toward earning your B.S. in Healthcare Administration by requesting information or beginning your CBU application today.