Master of Science in Counseling Psychology
The Master of Science in Counseling Psychology program is designed to equip students with counseling techniques that assist individuals and families by restoring wholeness and balance in their lives.
Students will gain the practical experience to counsel in a variety of settings. Teaching the necessary skills to address mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community is at the heart of the program.
MS in Counseling Psychology students are able to apply theories learned in the classroom to real-world clinical environments. Widely recognized and highly respected by public, private and faith-based agencies throughout the Inland Empire, the program offers candidates the opportunity to observe and experience a diverse range of clinical settings under the close guidance of seasoned faculty and on-site supervisors.
$43,000 - $68,000
Why our program?
- Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT): The MS in Counseling Psychology meets the educational requirements for MFT licensure as mandated by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). Students are trained to be compassionate, ethical counselors who specialize in helping individuals, couples and families examine, explore and improve satisfaction in marriages and other interpersonal relationships.
- Professional Clinical Counseling (PCC): This concentration will satisfy the academic requirements for the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. The LPCC is trained to work with individuals, families and groups in treating mental, behavioral and emotional problems and disorders, with a focus of improving mental health.
- Forensic Psychology: Students expand their expertise by balancing traditional counseling, theory and skills with a specialized understanding of the legal and judicial system. CBU is one of a few schools nationwide that offers this specialty.
- Dual Degree: The MS in Counseling Psychology can be paired with the MA in Counseling Ministry, preparing candidates for MFT licensure as well as church-based counseling.
- From Classroom to ClinicMS in Counseling Psychology Degree candidates have the opportunity to apply theories learned in the classroom, to real-world clinical environments. Widely recognized and highly respected by public, private and faith-based agencies throughout the Inland Empire, the program offers candidates the opportunity to observe and experience a diverse range of clinical settings, under the close guidance of seasoned faculty and onsite supervisors. This practical application allows students to gain valuable work experience, while building relationships with potential employers.
- Faculty with Working KnowledgeCBU's MS in Psychology Degree is enriched by outstanding faculty who share their expertise and experience as practicing clinicians as well as mentoring instructors. With a wide depth and breadth of clinical experience, faculty practice what they teach in their own professions. They remain current on the latest theories, and in touch with today's clinical environments. Students come away from classes not only with an understanding of theory, but of how it applies to the treatment of real patients.
- Applying Faith to Therapeutic Approaches
Beyond meeting the basic academic requirements for licensure, the MS in Counseling Psychology Degree curriculum develops a thorough understanding of human behavior through the study of psychological theory and research as well as theology. Courses integrate clinical theory with issues of faith, exploring the application and relevance of theological concepts to counseling therapy. While incorporating individual beliefs and values, courses also encourage students to examine the intersection between their personal and professional lives. This inward examination, coupled with rigorous clinical training, develops counseling professionals who understand and uphold the highest standards and ethics.
- Take the Next Step
For more information about CBU's Counseling Psychology Master's Degree program, visit the following pages and resources on the right side of the page. You are also invited to join us at our next information session.
We look forward to helping you reach your professional and personal goals