Alpha Chi National Honor Society
ABOUT ALPHA CHI (AX)
The Alpha Chi National Honor Society is a coeducational and interdisciplinary honor society that promotes academic achievement and excellence. Invitation to this society is limited to the top 10% of juniors and seniors at a chapter’s institution. Alpha Chi (AX) was founded in 1922 to recognize and promote academic excellence among college and university students of all disciplines, to encourage a spirit of service and leadership, and to nurture the elements of character that make scholarship effective for good. Alpha Chi is organized into seven regions and includes more than 400,000 members.
California Beta Chapter
California Baptist University’s California Beta Chapter of Alpha Chi is located in Region VII. The California Beta Chapter started in 1994 and has enlisted over 1,758 members.
Alpha Chi is a prestigious academic honor since an invitation to AX is limited to the top 10% of juniors and seniors at participating chapter universities. It is highly recommended to join AX in the semester a student is invited. Eligibility is not guaranteed since GPA requirements are continually changing. If this is your last semester at CBU, it is your last opportunity to become an Alpha Chi member. The one-time fee gives students access to this lifetime membership with countless other highlighted benefits. Alpha Chi offers resume-building opportunities and invaluable academic and life experiences through national conventions, leadership and publication opportunities, scholarships, and other services.
California Baptist University hosts two ceremonies each academic year to recognize and celebrate new members’ induction into its AX chapter. New members are encouraged to invite friends and family to congratulate this high honor. An informal ceremony is held in the fall semesters, consisting of a fun Quiz Bowl, refreshments, and the ceremony. The spring’s formal induction ceremony entails a lovely evening with music, dinner, a keynote speaker, and the ceremony.
New members receive an AX pin and personalized certificate when inducted into the California Beta Chapter. Moreover, graduating AX members can proudly wear graduation regalia cords bearing the AX colors at their graduation ceremony.
Previous Induction Guest Speakers:
- Dr. Karen Bradley, Dean of College of Nursing and Professor of Nursing, CBU, Fall 2020
- Dr. Noemi Alexander, Department Chair of History & Government and Assistant Professor of Public Administration, CBU, Fall 2020
- Dr. Tae Sung, Director of University Writing Center and Associate Professor of English, CBU, Spring 2020
- Dr. Ricardo Cordero-Soto, Director of Graduate Program in Applied Mathematics and Associate Professor of Mathematics, CBU, Spring 2019
- Dr. Wayne Fletcher, Associate Provost for Academic Services and Associate Professor, CBU, Spring 2018
- Dr. Jeffrey Barnes, Dean of Student Success and Professor of Humanities, CBU, Spring 2017
- Dr. Chuck Sands, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor of Health Science, CBU, Spring 2016
Scholarships are available at both the regional and national levels. The Alpha Chi Society awards more than $80,000 annually in national scholarships and fellowships to members for full-time study. Moreover, Alpha Chi’s seven regions offered scholarships and fellowships separate from the national competition to the tune of $15,000 in 2019. California Beta Chapter Members are encouraged to participate in applying for these academic scholarships. For more information, please visit: https://alphachihonor.org/scholarships/
Each year, the Alpha Chi Society hosts a national convention in a city of historical importance. Members may attend annual national conventions, travel, present scholarly or creative work, network, and participate in civic and social events. Participation in AX conventions gives students an introduction to academic conferences and networking at a significantly discounted cost. Students must present academic work that they have previously completed in their coursework. Top student presenters receive cash prizes endowed by alumni and friends of the society.
Previous Convention Locations:
- 2019 - Cleveland, OH
- 2018 - Portland, OR
- 2017 - Louisville, KY
- 2016 - Washington, D.C.
- 2015 - Chicago, IL
Through involvement in local chapters and at the regional and national level, members can develop leadership skills and gain experience in such professional activities as making scholarly presentations, leading events, and campus involvement. Office holdings of President and Vice President allow students a position for student leadership.
- 2020-2021 Jennifer Lee (President)
- 2018-2019, 2019-2020 Toby Renzullo (President) & Eva Celeste (Co-Vice President) & Rebekah Mateo (Co-Vice President)
- 2017-2018 Jennifer Lee (President) & Toby Renzullo (Vice President)
Alpha Chi’s Undergraduate Journal of Scholarship, Aletheia, provides undergraduates the opportunity to publish their academic work. The online journal allows students to submit outstanding scholarly and creative work to be considered for publication. Moreover, the Aletheia offers undergraduates a place to learn about the peer-review process and a way to add legitimate value to a curriculum vitae. There is also the opportunity for Alpha Chi’s graduate student members to serve as peer reviewers for submitted manuscripts. The journal features submissions from a wide range of disciplines, allowing for interdisciplinary scholarship.
Previous CBU AX Member Publications:
- Vol. 5, Issue 1, Spring 2020 - The Chosen Changeling, Clarissa Rossman
- Vol. 3, Issue 2, Fall 2018 - The Colony of Jamestown: Conceptions, Challenges, and Change, Jennifer Lee
- Vol. 1, Issue 1, Spring 2016 - Does the School to Prison Pipeline Exist in America for Minorities?, Dakota McMahand
Sheri Torelli, Chapter Co-Sponsor
Phone: (951) 343-4795