• Frequently Asked Questions

    Below are common employment questions and answers:

    Can I work while I am an F1 Student at CBU?

    Full-time students are allowed to work on-campus, provided the work will not interfere with their full-time enrollment or delay their degree completion.

    How many hours can international students work?

    Federal regulations limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week while classes are in session.  During school break periods, international students may work full-time on-campus.

    Where can I search for job openings?

    Job openings are posted outside the Campus Life office (B154) in the Yeager Center.  They can also be accessed online at http://www.calbaptist.edu/career.  Click on the link titled “Online Job Board.”  Enter your CBU ID# as your access ID and follow the prompts to register.

    Which jobs can I apply for?

    International students may apply for any on-campus student position.  It is preferable if the students’ skills match the required job skills.

    How does an international student apply for a job?

    Students pick-up an on-campus job application from the Campus Life office in the Yeager Center, B154.  Students then bring the application to the International Center for a verification stamp.  Students should submit a separate application to each department they are applying to.

    International students must obtain a social security card before they can begin working.  Students can apply for a social security card once they have received a job offer.  This process requires a letter of intent from the department seeking to hire the student.  A second letter is required that is obtained from the International Center.  Please see the International Center for further details on the social security process.

  • Applying for a Social Security Number and Card

    If you are eligible to apply for a Social Security number, you will need to apply through the Social Security Administration office. The closest office to CBU is:

    Address: 7880 Mission Grove Pkwy S, Riverside, CA 92508

    Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm Wednesday 9:00am – 12:00pm

    First, F-1 students must have a job offer from an on-campus department. The Social Security office will not process your application if your work does not begin within 30 days of your application date. All documents must be in original form, no photocopies are accepted.

    You will need to bring the following documents to the Social Security Office:

    • Application for a Social Security Card, available at: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf 
    • A letter from the department hiring you (on official letterhead) that states you have been hired for an on-campus job, including your full name, the department name, what your job is, your start date, how many hours you will be working per week, the Employer Identification Number (EIN), and your supervisor’s name and phone number
    • A letter from the International Center
    • Passport (cannot be expired)
    • I-94 (Arrival Record)
    • I-20 form

    An SSN is issued once per lifetime. If you have previously had an SSN, but do not have the card or do not remember the number, you can apply for a duplicate card if you meet the eligibility requirements above.

    It takes up to 2 weeks from the time you apply for a card, until you receive it in the mail. At the time of application, you will receive a letter verifying you applied for a Social Security Card.

  • Banking Information

    There are two basic kinds of accounts:

    • Checking accounts - for payment of regular bills and shopping needs
    • Savings accounts - where money you do not need to use immediately can earn interest

    To open a bank account, take your CBU student ID card, your passport, and some cash to the bank of your choice. It is a good idea to contact the bank first to verify what documents you need to bring with you in order to open an account.

    Checking accounts: When opening a checking account, be sure to ask about different types of checking accounts. All banks have several kinds of accounts, so you should always review your options. Be sure to look at the account fees and when they may be charged. After opening an account you will be given a book of temporary checks. You can also order checks with your name and local address printed on them.

    Writing a check: Checks should be filled out at the time you are making a payment. An example of how to write a check is given below. Fill in all blank spaces on your check. The amount should be written numerically and in longhand. Never sign a check before you are ready to use it, since it can be cashed as soon as your signature is on it. Most merchants will require that you show one or two pieces of photo ID to accept your check. These can be a California Driver's License or Identification Card, a passport, or other official ID.