Residence Life FAQ

  • Am I required to live on campus?

    University policy states that all single full-time traditional undergraduate students live on campus OR with their parent(s)/guardian if they meet either of the following criteria:

    • They receive more than $8,500 in institutional aid in an academic year
    • Are under 21 years of age
  • Who is eligible for on-campus housing?

    In order to be eligible to live in on-campus housing you must be a single full-time traditional undergraduate student:

    • Full-time
      • You must be enrolled in at least 12 units of traditional undergraduate classes.
    • Single
      • CBU does not offer on-campus married and/or family housing.
    • Traditional undergraduate student
      • CBU does not offer on-campus housing for Online Professional Studies (OPS) students or graduate students
  • How much does housing cost?

    For the 2016–2017 school year housing costs $2,630 a semester for shared housing. Shared housing is any living area where freshman or upperclassman have roommates. Upperclassmen do have the option to request (based on availability) a studio apartment. To live in a studio apartment costs $3,945 per semester. Prices are subject to change.

  • Do I have to have a meal plan?

    University policy states that all residents living on campus must have a meal plan. For additional questions about meal plans please contact University Card Services at (951) 552-8552.

  • Can I bring my car?

    Yes! Even freshman residents are able to have their cars on campus. You will however have to register your car with Public Safety for a permit each school year. 

  • Can I do laundry on campus?

    Yes. Each living area on campus has at least one if not more locations to do your laundry. You will need to provide your own detergent, fabric softener, etc. Once you are on campus you will purchase a laundry card from one of the designated laundry areas. You will then be able to continuously place money on the card to pay for each load of laundry. The washers and dryers will NOT accept coins.

  • What should I bring on campus?

    When considering what to bring, please remember two basic rules:

    1. You cannot install or affix anything in the room/apartment that will be permanent or cause damage to walls, doors, ceilings or floors.
    2. You will be sharing space with another person or persons. Contact your roommate(s) and discuss what you each plan to bring. Needless to say, you don’t need to bring two televisions, two carpets, etc.

    For other information about what you are able to bring on campus please review the 2015–2016 Student Handbook. The information about Residence Life starts on page 78 and ends on page 92.

  • Do I need to provide furniture?

    No. CBU housing provides furnished apartments! See below for a list of what is provided in each type of housing area.

    Colony, University Place, Lancer Arms, The Point, The Village, The Cottages and Tower Hall:

    • An extra long bed frame and mattress for each student 
    • A desk and chair for each student 
    • A dresser for each student
    • A couch (in the living room area)
    • Coffee table and/or end table 
    • Dining table and chairs (not in Tower Hall)
    • Refrigerator 
    • Stove/oven (not in Tower Hall)
      • Some apartments may have additional appliances and furniture

    Smith Hall and Simmons Hall:

      • A bed for each student (Simmons Hall has a regular twin sized mattress, Smith Hall has an extra long mattress)
      • A desk and chair for each student 
      • A dresser for each student 
      • Built-in closet 
      • Vanity with a sink 
      • Medicine cabinet