Graduate Program Faq'S

1. What are the program's entry dates and application deadline?

The Graduate Programs in Education typically offer a rolling admission policy, and accept students for the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. With the exception of the cohort programs, students may begin the program in any semester or term.

Students are strongly encouraged to have their application files, including all needed documentation, completed at least two months prior to the start of the semester.

2. What are the program's pre-requisites?

Pre-requisites vary according to the specialization.

3. What is the GPA/GRE requirement?

Candidates typically must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for unconditional admission, and a minimum 2.75 for conditional admission.  Note: select programs have a higher minimum GPA requirement. Higher GPA requirements are specified within the degree requirements or available through the Graduate Admissions Office for more information.

4. Does the graduate program in Education offer specializations?

Yes. Candidates choose from the following specializations:

Educational Leadership for Faith-Based Institutions
Educational Leadership for Public Institutions
International Education
Teaching and Learning with Induction Program (available for the Corona/Norco Unified School District only)
Instructional Computer Applications
Educational Technology
Special Education: Mild/Moderate and Moderate Severe Disabilities
School Psychology
School Counseling
Science Education
Leadership and Adult Learning
Leadership and Organizational Studies
Please visit the Program Overview page for more information about specializations.

 5. How long does the program take?

The length of the program varies, depending on course load and specialization. Please contact the graduate program advisor at the Metcalf School of Education or attend a Graduate Program Information Session for a program completion timeline.

6. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?

Yes. Most students in the graduate program in Education are working teachers, educators and professionals.

7. When do classes meet?

The Graduate Education Programs at CBU are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of working adults. Most classes are offered Monday through Thursday evenings. Educational Leadership For Faith-Based Institutions courses are conducted during the summer through CBU's Faith-Based Summer Institute.

8. Does a Master of Science or Master of Arts in Education prepare me to teach?

The Master of Science or Master of Arts in Education alone does not qualify candidates for credentialing. Candidates may, however, pursue a teaching credential or Education Specialist credential while working toward a master's degree. The Metcalf School of Education offers a credential programs in the following areas:

Preliminary  Single and Multiple Subject
Preliminary Administrative Services
Education Specialist in Mild/Moderate Disabilities β€” Level I and Level II
Education Specialists in Moderate/Severe Disabilities β€” Level I and Level II
Pupil Personnel Services in School Psychology and School Counseling
The Metcalf School of Education credentialing programs are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. For more information on credential programs in Education, click here.

9. Is there financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?

Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for educators. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at