Mission, Vision and Goals
California Baptist University
California Baptist University believes each person has been created for a purpose. CBU helps students understand and engage this purpose by providing a Christ-centered educational experience that integrates academics with spiritual and social development opportunities. Graduates are challenged to become individuals whose skills, integrity and sense of purpose glorify God and distinguish them in the workplace and in the world.
University Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
The University seeks to provide academic programs that prepare students for professional careers, as well as co-curricular programs that foster an environment supporting the intellectual, physical, social and spiritual development of each student. Within these arenas of the student experience, the University, through its faculty and administration, has identified student outcomes as desirable and reflective of the impact it seeks to have in the lives of its students. Upon completion of a degree program, each student at California Baptist University should be able to:
- Demonstrate spiritual literacy, including biblical Christian faith and practice, Baptist perspectives and the Christian’s role in fulfilling the Great Commission.
- Respect diverse religious, cultural, philosophical, and aesthetic experiences and perspectives.
- Use critical thinking skills to demonstrate literacy: listening, speaking, writing, reading, viewing, and visual representing.
- Demonstrate competence in mathematical, scientific, and technological skills.
- Transfer academic studies to a profession and the workplace.
- Implement a personal and social ethic that results in informed participation in multiple levels of community.
These outcomes, referred to as the "Core 4", are succinctly distilled as follows:
- Academically Prepared
- Biblically Rooted
- Globally Minded
- Equipped to Serve
Mission, Vision, and Goals
Physician Assistant Program
CBU's physician assistant program will prepare graduates who are globally minded and academically prepared to provide quality health care in their communities and to underserved populations. In support of the university's mission, the program will fulfill the "Core 4" outcomes by producing students that are academically prepared, biblically rooted, globally minded and equipped to serve.
- Graduates of CBU's PA program will become leaders in the community and in the profession.
- CBU's PA program will have established relationships with community health systems.
- CBU's PA program will have established clinical sites in medically underserved areas.
- CBU's PA program will have established interprofessional relationships with other programs within CBU and with other local institutions.
- Graduates of CBU's PA program will return to the institution as PA educators.
The Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program will prepare entry-level medical professionals to augment the physician (MD and DO) in providing medical and patient care responsibilities within the health care system. The program will encourage graduates to provide service to underserved populations. The physician assistant program will prepare students who will be able to:
- Utilize acquired medical knowledge and technical skills in the systematic process of patient evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.
- Incorporate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Provide patient care consistent with current evidence-based guidelines and legal and ethical standards.
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and professionalism in dealing with patients, their families and other health care providers, in a caring, culturally sensitive and safe manner.
- Practice team-based, interprofessional health care.
- Give back to the community by engaging in humanitarian service, locally and/or globally.
- Use acquired knowledge and skills to find gainful employment and adapt to existing health care systems.