About The Program
Exercise Science Concentration
The Exercise Science Concentration within the Master of Science in Kinesiology is designed to prepare clinical professionals for relevant certifications through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and other organizations leading to employment in health, fitness and clinical exercise settings.
Sport Management Concentration
The Sport Management Concentration within the Master of Science in Kinesiology is designed to prepare sport professionals for a variety of management-related careers in athletic, recreation, and education settings. Potential career paths are virtually limitless, with new specialties continually emerging. The sport management curriculum follows the guidelines of the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) and includes specialized courses in sport law, marketing, economics and finance, event and facility management, and relevant field experience.
Physical Education Concentration
The Physical Education Concentration within the Master of Science in Kinesiology is designed to allow teaching professionals the opportunity to advance their careers, expand their proficiency, and increase their value at elementary and secondary institutions in public, private and religious schools. Concentration courses focus on physical and health education methods and curriculum development.
- Student Learning Outcomes
- MSKN students will demonstrate the ability to conduct, evaluate, and interpret data related to kinesiology.
- MSKN students will demonstrate the ability to make ethical choices grounded in an evangelical Christian worldview.
- MSKN students will demonstrate knowledge of legal issues in sport, exercise, and/or physical education, including the ability to construct a thorough risk management plan.
- MSKN students will demonstrate professionalism through oral communication, written communication, active involvement in the field, and computer technology competence.
- MSKN students concentrating in exercise science will be able to implement lab skills and strategies that enhance biomechanics, exercise, performance, nutrition, health, and wellness.
- MSKN students concentrating in exercise science will be able to apply basic physiology to areas of pathology, exercise physiology, and exercise prescription.
- MSKN students concentrating in exercise science will understand the mechanisms of exercise to treat and prevent diseases from a cellular, tissue, and system level.
- MSKN students concentrating in physical education will demonstrate the ability to construct a developmentally appropriate program of physical education.
- MSKN students concentrating in physical education will be able to explain and apply a variety of instructional strategies and classroom management techniques.
- MSKN students concentrating in sport management will demonstrate an essential knowledge of basic management principles, including motivation and assessment strategies, adaptability, and leadership.
- MSKN students concentrating in sport management will demonstrate an essential knowledge of financial management in sport, including cash flow strategies and the ability to construct and manage an operating budget.
- MSKN students concentrating in sport management will be able to utilize market research, conduct and implement market research designs, and devise a marketing plan.
- MSKN students concentrating in sport management will demonstrate an understanding of the political, sociological, economic, and historical parameters that influence sport, including the ability to identify trends and make predictions for sport organizations.