Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the program's entry dates and application deadline?

The M.S. in Education with a Specialization in International Education typically offers a rolling admission policy, and accepts students for the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. 

Students are strongly encouraged to have their application files, including all needed documentation, completed at least one month prior to the start of the semester.

2. What are the prerequisites for credential option?

Please click on this link to see the prerequisite courses for the credential and graduate programs.

3. What is the GPA/GRE requirement?

Please click on this link to see CBU's Master of Science in Education admissions requirements.

4. What are my options with the Specialization in International Education?

  • Candidates may choose to complete their Master’s degree without earning a teaching credential in 36 units.
  • Candidates may earn a California Single or Multiple Subject teaching credential simultaneously with the Master’s degree. Note: The California teaching credential also requires one semester of student teaching.

5. What are the International Education Specialization Courses that are unique to this program?

EDU 533 Intercultural Competence (3): This course provides opportunities to investigate theories and models of intercultural competence in communication,relationship building and adaptation /transition across cultures for the purpose of equipping students for service in multinational school communities. This course provides the opportunity for students to read, think, talk and write broadly and deeply about intercultural issues. Through exposure to a range of ideas and issues related to intercultural competencies you are prepared to navigate the barriers of successful intercultural interaction.

EDU 534 International and Comparative Education (3): This course examines K-12 educational systems in the global society. Candidates will compare schooling in various societies and examine the history of their respective educational systems and how the systems were organized to meet the political, social and economic agenda of the 21st century. By examining different approaches to common problems, candidates will have a broad foundation upon which they can analyze and evaluate different strategies for problem solving educational issues.


EDU 536 Learning and Teaching a Second Language (3):This course evaluates theories and methods for teaching and learning a second language, with an emphasis in cross cultural arenas. This course also prepares candidates to teach non-native speakers a second language and navigate the challenges of promoting learning in national or international language settings.

EDU 585 Practicum in International Education (3): Experience in International Education: Candidates will collaborate with the professor to develop an International Education Applied Research project to take place in an international setting or in an international school in the United States. The Practicum concludes the program and will require approximately 40 hours of approved field work per credit hour. Candidates are required to complete 3 units. The Practicum does not replace student teaching for the credential programs.

6. How long does the program take?

This program can be completed in two years by taking 6 units in each of the Spring, Summer and Fall terms. This does not include one semester (15 units) of student teaching. Please contact the graduate program advisor at the Metcalf School of Education or attend a Graduate Program Information Session for more detailed program completion details.

7. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?

Yes. However, students working toward the California teaching credential will be required to dedicate a semester to full-time student teaching, with the option to complete half of this requirement overseas.

8. When do classes meet?

Graduate courses at CBU are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of working adults. Most classes are offered Monday through Thursday evenings. This program also includes some on-line and hybrid courses.

9. Does a Master of Science in Education prepare me to teach?

The Master of Science in Education alone does not qualify candidates for credentialing. Candidates may, however, complete 12 units of professional methods courses in the CA Single and/or Multiple Subject teaching credential and complete their Student Teaching while working toward a master's degree. The Metcalf School of Education credentialing programs are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

10. Is there financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?

Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for educators. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at