Applications for Summer 2023 may be reviewed for remaining openings, cancellations, and waitlist through May 1, 2023.
Admission to the Athletic Training Program (ATP) is competitive and not guaranteed simply upon satisfactory completion of all application and pre-requisite requirements. The CBU ATP Admissions Committee evaluates each applicant based on many factors. Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision in writing. Those who are offered admission will receive an admission packet and must respond in writing confirming acceptance of the admission offer and show evidence of completion of all post admission requirements. Applicants who are not offered admission may re-apply the following year. Admission decisions may be appealed to the ATP program director within two weeks after official notification.
Application requirements for the Athletic Training Program (ATP) are:
1. An application for admission through ATCAS.
2. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or the evaluated equivalency, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for unconditional acceptance. Applicants with GPA below 3.0 may also be considered on an individual basis.
3. Official sealed transcripts from a college or university reflecting the completion of a baccalaureate degree submitted through ATCAS. Additional transcripts may be required for GPA or prerequisite verification.
4. Two recommendations from sources who can address your potential for success. Family members and friends may not complete recommendations.
5. A comprehensive essay of at least 500 words that includes the following:
- Purpose for entering the program
- Background and/or experiences in sports, athletic training, exercise science or related areas
- Short and long-term professional goals
- Reasons for choosing to study at CBU
6. Current résumé documenting all related professional and extracurricular experiences
7. Prerequisite coursework completed with a "C" or better within the past 8 years:
- Exercise Physiology
- General Psychology
- Human Anatomy & Physiology with Lab (2 semesters)
- Additional preferred prerequisites: Introduction to Athletic Training, Biomechanics or Applied Movement Anatomy, Medical Terminology, Nutrition, Research methods, Statisics.
Prerequisite courses can be taken at CBU through the Pre-Athletic Curriculum. Please contact Graduate Admissions for more information.
8. CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification, demonstrated by coursework or certificate*
9. Clinical Observation*: Verification of 80 hours in an athletic training setting supervised by a Certified Athletic Trainer. Observation at two sites is recommended but not required. Please submit a completed ATP Observation Hours Form. You may use more than one form. Consideration will be given to applicants that were not able to complete the requirement, but have 1) completed interviews and 2) submit a written plan for how to complete the hours after the application deadline.
10. A successful interview with the ATP Admissions Committee. Not all applicants are invited for an interview.
11. An applicant whose first language is not English and/or does not have a degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction is required to demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting a recent test score from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum score required to display English language proficiency for graduate programs is 80 IBT.
*Not required for admission to Pre-Athletic Training
The CBU ATP does not accept transfer courses from other institutions to be substituted for courses required in the ATP. Transcripts will be used to ascertain prerequisite courses required for admission into the program. These courses are not counted in the number of units required to complete the Master of Science degree. Due to the rigorous standards (competencies and proficiencies) set by the national accreditation agency (the CAATE), the short two year degree completion time, and integrity of the program design, it is important that students complete all required courses at CBU.