EL MSN Application Requirements
|Summer 2023 Application (all requirements must be complete at the time of application)||Application Deadline|
|Early||October 3, 2022|
|Standard||January 23, 2023|
*Last day to submit prerequisite transcripts: January 15
Application for Summer 2023 cohort is currently open and will close on January 23,
Questions regarding the application? Watch our application workshop here.
COVID-19 Related EL-MSN Application Information
We have been receiving many questions regarding ELMSN application requirements and admission criteria as it relates to the unique landscape of this pandemic. Please see read the important information about the ELMSN Summer 2023 application cycle below:
- TEAS Exam: The ATI TEAS exam is an admission requirement for the Summer 2023 cycle. There are two ways to take the TEAS--virtual and in person through a PSI Testing Center. To sign up for a virtual test date, please fill out this form. To check dates for PSI testing centers, review these instructions for dates, times, and location offerings.
- Healthcare Experience: As always, we recommend using creativity when obtaining a level of exposure to healthcare environments. Although you may not be able to volunteer in certain facilities, we recommend conducting virtual interviews with healthcare professionals and seeking opportunities to volunteer at small clinics or other facilities that may need assistance.
- Some testing centers are providing virtual proctored TEAS tests. We will accept those scores as well.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Completed, posted bachelor's degree in non-nursing field
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (or last 60 semester/90 quarter unit GPA) and 2.8 science GPA (GPA consisting of the 4 science prerequisite classes)
- Prerequisites must be completed with a C or higher by the fall semester prior to the summer start date. See the prerequisite self-evaluation for a complete list of prerequisite requirements, and the prerequisite equivalencies page to find your school and aid in completing the self-evaluation.
- Minimum score of 60% composite on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
- Submission of all application documents by the application deadline. The required
- Three letters of recommendation (personal, professional, and academic)
- All official transcripts with grades and degree posted
- Prerequisite self evaluation
- Personal Statement
See step-by-step guide for additional information on the documents listed above.
For a video going over the application, watch our workshop here.
Begin your application via NursingCAS. Once logged into NursingCAS, applicants should select EL MSN as their program. Please do not select additional CBU programs.
Submit three electronic recommendations sent through NursingCAS: academic, personal and professional. Academic and professional recommendation letters are required to be on official letterhead.
Note: NursingCAS gives you the option of creating a deadline for your references, We recommend this deadline be two weeks prior to the application deadline. Family members may not complete recommendations.
Please be prepared to submit the following with your NursingCAS application:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (to be sent electronically to NursingCAS)
- Prerequisite Self-Evaluation Form: Prerequisites must be completed by the end of the fall semester prior to program start in May.
- Resume containing all relevant healthcare volunteer experience, certifications/licenses, honors/awards and community volunteer experience.
- A personal statement of at least 1,000 words completed in APA format. Essay should include answers to
- Why do you want to be a nurse?
- What significant events and influences have affected your approach to nursing?
- What qualities do you bring to the CBU College of Nursing?
- What are your long-term professional goals?
- Note: There is no GRE or MAT requirement.
Register for the entrance exam and start studying! You do not need to take the exam
prior to submitting your application, but you do need to take it prior to the final
*Please note: TEAS scores expire after 1 year, therefore must be taken between December 5th, 2021 and January 23rd, 2023.
Submit your completed NursingCAS application. Once this final step is complete, you will receive an email confirmation from NursingCAS indicating your application is complete or that you have missing documents. If you do not receive an email, please check your spam folder and make NursingCAS an "approved sender." At this time, we will email you a supplemental questionnaire that will complete your CBU application.
- All supplemental documentation and transcripts must be submitted by January 23, 2023 (NursingCAS may verify transcripts beyond the deadline).
For technical support with your application, contact NursingCAS:
NursingCAS Customer Service:
Hours: Monday– Friday (9 a.m.–5 p.m. Eastern Time)
Entrance Exam: ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
About the TEAS
- Four-option, multiple choice, computer based exam.
- 170 questions
- 209 minutes to complete
- Minimum score accepted: 60
- Maximum number of attempts: you can take the TEAS up to 3 times
- TEAS scores expire after 1 year, therefore must be taken between December 5th, 2021 and January 23, 2023.
- We will take the highest score out of your three attempts.
- More information
Locations, Dates and Times for the TEAS
- You can take the TEAS through a PSI testing center or virtually through CBU (click here to sign up).
- The TEAS is offered almost daily at the PSI testing centers. Here are instructions on how to check dates, times and location offerings.
- We recommend studying for 4-6 weeks prior to taking the exam, but you can take the TEAS at any point prior to the application deadline for the cycle which you are applying.
TEAS Study Resources
- Although there are many study resources out there, we recommend utilizing the ATI study resources.
For more information, please see our list of frequently asked questions.