Internship Early Completion Option
The Internship Early Completion Option is intended to provide individuals who have requisite skills and knowledge an opportunity to challenge the coursework portion of a Multiple or Single Subject Internship Program and demonstrate pedagogical skills through a performance assessment while in a commission-approved intern program.
The Internship Early Completion Option is for the Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and Single Subject Teaching Credentials in English, mathematics and science. Candidates for special education credentials are not eligible for the Early Completion Option.
To be eligible, candidates must first be admitted to the credential program and complete the requirements to be intern eligible. Those requirements include:
Intern Eligibility Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education posted on an official transcript.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA is required for unconditional admittance, and a minimum of 2.75 GPA is required for conditional admittance.
- Satisfy basic skills requirement by a report showing a passing score of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or alternative.
- U.S. Constitution Requirement met either through coursework or through a challenge test.
- Completion of subject matter competency in the content area corresponding with the credential. Verification is required that the candidate has either: (A) completed a subject matter program OR (B) passed all section of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET).
- Verification of passage of the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) exam (Multiple Subject candidates only).
- Completion of intern eligibility coursework to include: EDU 509, EDU 511, and EDU 514 (Single Subject) or EDU 516 (Multiple Subject).
- Professional fitness through: fingerprint clearance (Certificate of Clearance).
- Verification of current TB test showing negative results.
Early Completion Requirements
- Passage of the National Evaluation Series (NES) Assessment of Professional Knowledge (APK): Elementary (Test code 051) for Multiple Subject candidates or Secondary (Test code 052) for Single Subject candidates.
- Employment verification: A current contract indicating an offer of employment in a public school district. You must be the teacher of record, not a substitute.
- Enrollment in EDU 582: Internship Practicum.
- Completion of an Educational Technology course, such as ETC 507 or similar coursework.
- Passage of edTPA. Candidates must complete the portfolio with a passing score on the first attempt in order to be eligible for the Internship Early Completion Option.