Notice to California Baptist University Residential Students (Updated 3/19/20)
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to address how the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has impacted on-campus student housing and meal plans during the 2020 Spring Semester.
Please take the time to thoroughly read the following information:
After careful consideration of coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic guidelines and notices received from public health authorities and the increasing number of cities across the state that have enacted shelter-in-place mandates, California Baptist University has determined it is appropriate to expedite student move-out, starting this week.
Rendering this decision has not been easy and we understand how difficult an accelerated move-out timeline will be for many students.
We are instructing students to move out of University housing as soon as possible, but no later than 5 PM on Monday, March 23.
Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis for students who cannot go home, have known health or safety risks, or do not have an alternate residence. Students must submit a Request for Housing Exception and receive written approval from the University in order to remain on campus.
Student safety and well-being continues to be a priority and the Residence Life and Housing Services (RLHS) team will be available to assist with making this transition as smooth as possible.
To complete the check-out process, students must do the following:
- Remove all personal belongs from their assigned housing.
- Place all trash in one of the large dumpsters located in each living area.
- Complete an Express Check-Out form, which will be distributed to all housing rooms/apartments and made available in the RLHS office and from residence life staff.
- Place a completed Express Check-Out form and key (if applicable) in the drop box located at the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services.
Students who are unable to complete the check-out process by 5 PM on Monday, March 23, must contact RLHS at email@example.com or 951.552.8000.
HOUSING AGREEMENT CREDITS/REFUNDS
Students in campus housing will receive a prorated housing credit for the five weeks remaining in the original Spring 2020 Semester, based on an analysis of the individual student’s account, applicable toward housing fees for the Fall 2020 Semester. Students graduating at the end of the Spring 2020 Semester will be eligible for a refund of the prorated amount, based on an analysis of the individual student’s account. It is anticipated that refunds for graduating students will be processed within six weeks and mailed to the student’s permanent address on file with the University.
MEAL PLAN REFUNDS
Students on a University meal plan are eligible to receive a refund for unused meal swipes and Dining Dollars, based on an analysis of the individual student’s account, not to exceed one-third of the current amount charged. It is anticipated that refunds will be processed within six weeks and mailed to the student’s permanent address on file with the University.
CAMPUS SAFETY GUIDELINES
In an effort to ensure the safety, health and well-being of students who are approved to remain in University housing, the following campus safety guidelines apply:
- Social distancing guidelines will be observed. Accordingly, RLHS may relocate students to private rooms in units that have a semi-private bathroom and a kitchen.
- In compliance with directives issued by the Riverside County Health Officer, the CBU campus will remain closed to the public until April 30, 2020.
- Outside guests and visitors (individuals from the public) will not be permitted in student housing areas.
- Food service will be available at limited locations.
- Meals will be offered on a to-go basis.
- Indoor seating areas will remain closed.
- Safety Services and RLHS will remain open and provide assistance, as needed.
CBU receives regular updates, guidance and directives from regional, state and federal public health and other authorities. It is our desire to serve students and help reduce the potential spread of COVID-19 while maintaining CBU’s core mission.
We recognize the uncertainty that this situation creates for members of the campus community and understand how difficult these mid-semester changes will be for our students.
Thank you for your patience and resilience as we work together to address issues brought on by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
For regular updates on COVID-19 developments impacting CBU, visit the University’s website at calbaptist.edu.
Please feel free to contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 951.552.8000 with any questions.