Read below for some helpful tips on maintaining your F-1 Visa status:
- Attend class.
- Pursue a full course of study.
- Make normal progress towards a degree.
- Apply for program extensions before the expiration date on the current I-20.
- Follow USCIS procedures for changing from one program or educational level to another
(e.g., from an M.S. to a Ph.D. degree).
- Follow procedures for transferring from one school to another.
- Limit on campus employment to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full-time
on campus employment is permitted during vacation periods such as summer, as long
as the student was enrolled full-time in the term before and intends to be enrolled
full time the following term.
- Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization. Limit off-campus employment
(with authorization through economic hardship or part-time practical training requirements)
to 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Report a change of address or name to the DSO within 10 days of the change. The DSO
must report the change to SEVIS within 21 days.
- Within 60 days of completing the course of study and any authorized practical training,
depart the United States, apply for a change of status, or transfer to another school.
- Maintain a valid passport.