On-Campus Employment

Employment Basics

  • Can I work while I am an F-1 student at CBU?

    Yes. Full-time students on an Active F-1 visa are allowed to work on-campus, provided the work will not interfere with their full-time enrollment or delay their degree completion. Any and all off-campus employment (including CPT for an internship, practicum hours or clinical hours) is not permissible without prior approval from the International Center. 

  • How many hours can I work as an F-1 student?

    Federal regulations limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week while classes are in session for F-1 students.  During school break periods, you may work up to 28 hours per week on-campus.

  • Where can I search for available on-campus jobs?

    Job openings are posted online here: http://www.calbaptist.edu/career.  You are welcome to apply for any of the on-campus jobs posted on the Career Center's website.

  • Can I work off-campus?

    No, as an F-1 student you are not permitted to work any off-campus job while on your student visa. Working an off-campus job would be a violation of your visa, and could be grounds for termination. If you need to work off-campus for a degree-related reason (like a required internship or practicum class) you must be approved for CPT prior to starting your off-campus job or volunteer work. Please contact your DSO before starting any off-campus work so we may advise you accordingly. 

  • How do I apply for a Social Security Number?

    Click here for more information about applying for an SSN.

  • Banking Information

    There are two basic kinds of accounts:

    • Checking accounts - for payment of regular bills and shopping needs
    • Savings accounts - where money you do not need to use immediately can earn interest

    To open a bank account, take your CBU student ID card, your passport, and some cash to the bank of your choice. It is a good idea to contact the bank first to verify what documents you need to bring with you in order to open an account.

    Checking accounts: When opening a checking account, be sure to ask about different types of checking accounts. All banks have several kinds of accounts, so you should always review your options. Be sure to look at the account fees and when they may be charged. After opening an account you will be given a book of temporary checks. You can also order checks with your name and local address printed on them.

    Writing a check: Checks should be filled out at the time you are making a payment. An example of how to write a check is given below. Fill in all blank spaces on your check. The amount should be written numerically and in longhand. Never sign a check before you are ready to use it, since it can be cashed as soon as your signature is on it. Most merchants will require that you show one or two pieces of photo ID to accept your check. These can be a California Driver's License or Identification Card, a passport, or other official ID.

Do you have questions about how to file taxes in the United States? Check out this resource from Study in the States.

Do you have questions about how to file taxes in the United States? Check out this resource from Study in the States.