Scholarships and Grants

Many students will enter California Baptist University with generous assistance in hand through scholarships and grants. Scholarships are usually awarded based on academic, athletic or creative merit, while grants tend to be awarded based on financial need. See the full list of aid options below along with qualifications on who can receive them.

  • Academic Scholarships

    Incoming Freshmen

    Trustees Scholarship – $13,500*

    4.0 GPA and above / 1200 SAT or 25 ACT**

    Presidents Scholarship – $12,500

    3.75–3.99 GPA / 1100 SAT or 24 ACT

    Deans Scholarship – $11,500

    3.3–3.74 GPA / 1020 SAT or 21 ACT

    Directors Scholarship – $7,500

    3.0–3.29 GPA / 990 SAT or 19 ACT

    *Award amounts listed are for students enrolling for the first time at California Baptist University in fall 2019. Please refer to previous catalogs for scholarship/grant awarding information for enrollment that began prior to fall 2019. Merit scholarship amounts and criteria for the 2020-2021 school year are subject to change.

    **SAT scores listed are based on evidence-based reading and writing and math sections. These scholarships are guaranteed if academic requirements are met. They are renewable if a minimum GPA is maintained.


    Incoming Transfers*

    Transfer Gold – $9,500

    3.5 GPA and above

    Transfer Blue – $7,500

    3.0–3.49 GPA

    *To be considered a transfer student you must have completed 24 or more units from a regionally accredited college or university. These scholarships are renewable if a minimum GPA is maintained.

  • Government Aid

    Federal Pell Grant
    $652–$6,095 per year

    This is a federal program and is awarded based upon financial need as determined by FAFSA.

    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    $1,000 per year

    FSEOG is a federal grant designed to assist students with the highest need as determined by the FAFSA. Funds are limited. 

    Cal Grants
    A ($9,084*) or B ($1,672) per year (for current first-year recipients) — If you receive Cal B as a freshman, CBU will provide a "Cal B Assist" in the amount of $7,412 ($9,084 total). Cal Grant is funded by the State of California and awarded to residents who meet GPA and financial criteria. To be considered, students must submit a FAFSA form. Your high school may submit a GPA verification form to the state on your behalf. Check with your high school's counseling office to confirm that it is sent by March 2. Track your application and make any changes to your information.

    *This amount is based on state funding and is subject to change pending budget approval.

    Chafee Grant
    The California Chafee Grant program provides grants to foster youth and former foster youth to assist with college costs. Recipients must be or have been eligible for Independent Living Program (ILP) Services between their 16th and 18th birthdays. For further qualifications and information, visit the California Student Aid Commission website.

    DREAM Act 
    If you meet AB540 requirements, submit a California DREAM Act Application to determine if you qualify for the Cal Grant (amounts listed in the Cal Grant section above). The deadline to apply is March 2.

    1. Submit the DREAM Act Application.

    2. Complete the GPA Verification Form.

    Your high school or current college will complete the bottom portion, see or call (888) 224-7268 for more details.

    Award amount depends on the program for which you qualify (Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B) as well as the specific year of your initial award. All Cal Grant offers will be set at $9,084 a year but are subject to change based on state funding and enrollment status.

    For more information on the DREAM Act, click here or see the FAQ.

    Federal Work Study
    The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a federally-funded, need-based, campus-based work program designed to assist students through part-time employment on-campus or with approved off-campus sites.  Eligibility is based on a student’s financial need as determined by the results of the FAFSA.  Funding and availability is limited and not guaranteed.  FWS funds are not disbursed separately to the student, nor applied to the students account; they are included in the student’s regular paycheck. 

    Once you have enrolled in classes at CBU, you can obtain an employment application from Career Services.  Students should have their application reviewed by the Financial Aid office for FWS eligibility before submitting the application. 

    Once employment is obtained and if the student is awarded FWS, the student will be notified by the Financial Aid Office. For additional instructions on applying for an on-campus job, click here.

  • CBU Aid

    CBU Grant – Up to $6,000
    This grant is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

    CBU Cal B Assistance – $7,412 for the first year

    Minister's Kin – $3,250 per year
    The recipient must be the dependent child of a minister engaged in full-time services as a pastor; a minister of education, music, children or youth; a chaplain or missionary. For further information, contact the Admissions Office at (877) 228-8866.

    Multiple Sibling – $2,000 per year
    For families with two or more members who are simultaneously attending the traditional undergraduate program on a full-time basis. Siblings must be considered dependent according to FAFSA. For further information, contact the Admissions Office at (877) 228-8866.

    Athletic Scholarships
    Available for men’s basketball, baseball, diving, soccer, swimming, water polo, cross country and track, and golf. For women, scholarships are available for basketball, softball, diving, soccer, swimming, water polo, cross country and track, volleyball, dance and cheer. For further information call the Athletic Department at (951) 343-4318.

    Drama Scholarships
    Scholarships are awarded for participation in department productions, the drama ministry or Team CELEBRATION! For further information, contact the theatre department at (951) 343-4319.

    Engineering Scholarships (continuing/returning students only) – Ranging from $500 to $5,000 per year
    For further information, contact the College of Engineering at ***Funds are exhausted for the 2019-2020 academic year. Scholarships will soon be available for the 2020-2021 academic year.***

    Journalism and New Media Scholarships – Up to $2,000 per year
    For further information, contact the department at or (951) 552-8116.

    Public Relations Scholarships – Up to $2,000 per year
    For further information, contact the department at or (951) 552-8116.

    Music–Vocal, Instrumental and Piano Performance Scholarships
    Auditions can be arranged throughout the year. Students are expected to have prepared a selection that shows their range and ability. All styles are accepted. Instrumentalists will be required to sight read. Contact the School of Music at (951) 343-4251.

    College of Architecture, Visual Arts and Design Scholarships
    For further information, contact CAVAD at (951) 552-8866.

    Continuing CBU student scholarships are generously provided by CBU donors and alumni for students who have completed one year of study, and will be continuing their undergraduate or graduate studies next academic year.

  • Private Aid
    Private scholarships are those offered from organizations, foundations or companies, usually not affiliated with a university. You can find many scholarships based on your personal traits, hobbies or planned major. The more effort you put into your search and applications, the more likely you are to get scholarships.
    View a list of suggested private scholarships.

Are you an out-of-state student? If so, please click here to learn more about our out-of-state guarantee.