Dates, Deadlines and FAQ

In applying to colleges, there are many dates to remember along the continuum to admission. Mark the ones below in your calendar to stay on track.

Important Dates and Deadlines

October 1: 2023–2024 FAFSA available
December 1: Admissions priority application date
March 2: FAFSA submission deadline for Cal Grant (California residents)
                Cal Grant Verification Form due (California residents)
May 1: Students may apply for private loans and parents may apply for Parent PLUS Loans
June 15: Priority deadline for verification documentation
August 10: Fall payment due date
September 6: Fall classes begin
September 13: Last day to add a class (fall)
September 20: Last day to drop a class with a refund (fall)

January 5: Spring payment due date
January 10: Spring classes begin
January 18: Last day to add a class (spring)
January 24: Last day to drop a class with a refund (spring)


FAFSA Assistance

Need help completing your 2023-2024 FAFSA? Schedule a meeting with a Financial Aid Technician for the assistance you need:

2023-2024 FAFSA Appointment with Brooke Gorman: Click Here

2023-2024 FAFSA Appointment with Shayda Hernandez: Click Here

2023-2024 FAFSA Appointment (Spanish Speaking): Click Here

Video chat and screen sharing will be available. Please login to prior to your appointment.


Top 10 Financial Aid Questions

  • How do I apply for financial aid?
    Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid online at Now available! The 2023–2024 application opened on October 1.
  • I have completed my FAFSA, what is the next step?
    You should receive a financial aid award estimate within approximately two weeks after you have been accepted to the university. You can view your financial aid offer through InsideCBU,
  • How do I apply for the Cal Grant?
    You must have your FAFSA completed and your GPA submitted to the California Student Aid Commission prior to the March 2 deadline. For more information you may go online to
  • If I do not qualify for the Cal Grant this year, can I apply again next year?

    Yes! If you are a first-time freshman and did not qualify for Cal Grant your first year, you may apply again for the next year by completing your FAFSA and returning to your high school to have them verify and submit your GPA again.

    If you have more than 24 college credits, complete your FAFSA and visit the Office of the Registrar for GPA verification.

  •  I have been asked to complete a G8 or G6 form. What is this for?

    The G8 form is the “High School Graduation Certification” which you can access online by creating an account and logging into This form ensures that you graduated from a California high school. Note: Completion of the High School Graduation Certification Form can only be completed after you graduate high school. For more information on Cal Grant related requirements, click here.

    The G6 form is the “Transfer Entitlement Certification” which you can access online by creating an account and logging into This form ensures that you attended a community college in 2022–2023 and will be attending a bachelor’s-granting institution in 2023–2024.

    For the 2023–2024 incoming class, students will need to complete the “Confirmation of School of Attendance” also located on You can either confirm or change your school of attendance which is required for the school to see your Cal Grant award in their system.

  • My FAFSA was selected for verification. What is my next step?
    The Department of Education randomly selects about one out of three FAFSAs for this process. You need to go to InsideCBU > Financial Aid > Student Forms to create an account and complete ALL necessary documentation. Instructions are included within the Verify My FAFSA webpage.
  • I am a veteran. How do I apply for VA benefits?
    You need to contact Jay Villasenor at 951-552-8522. He will be able to help you coordinate your VA benefits.
  • What if I have been offered a scholarship or other aid that is not listed on my award letter?
    Contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance at or call (951) 343-4236.
  • If my financial aid does not cover all of my charges, how do I “fill the gap”?

    We highly encourage you to apply for scholarships from outside organizations. Ask your high school counselors or the CBU Financial Aid Office for websites to help your search.

    CBU offers a payment plan. You may sign up on the Student Accounts tab on InsideCBU and click on “Go to CASHNet.”

    Your parents can apply for a Parent PLUS Loan to cover your remaining costs of education. This is credit-based loan offered by the Department of Education for parents of dependent undergraduate students. The interest rate is fixed at 6.28%. Find the application online at

    Private loans are an alternative option after students have applied for federal loans and scholarships. These credit-based loans are for dependent or independent students and may require a creditworthy cosigner. Interest rates may be variable or fixed with various payment options. Information is available on InsideCBU > Financial Aid > Undergrad > Loan Information.

    You can apply to be part of the work study program, where you’ll work on campus in part-time employment. Students must find employment on their own, and will qualify for the work study program based on need. At CBU, federal work study is government funding allotted to CBU in order to assist in offsetting the cost of student worker wages to CBU departments. Wages earned are paid to the student as regular paychecks.

  • What is a Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling and why do I need this?

    The Master Promissory Note is a legal document between you (the borrower) and the Department of Education that states you want to use the federal student loan offered to you and that you agree to pay it back.

    You complete this document online at

    The Financial Aid Office cannot request the loan funds on your behalf without this document and will be notified electronically when the form is completed.

    Entrance counseling is an interactive session that you complete online to ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower of a Federal Direct Loan.

    Entrance counseling is also a requirement of the Department of Education, and the Financial Aid Office will be notified when you have completed the session.