As you navigate along the road to financial aid, questions may arise. We've attempted to answer many of those questions below. If other questions develop, or if issues arise that require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Financial Aid Office for help. For many students, completing the financial aid process in a timely and optimally beneficial manner is as essential an endeavor as they will make during their college experience. Throughout the process we want to assure you that we are here to help.


Award Letters


  • What is a Stafford Loan?

    A Stafford Loan is a government guaranteed student loan that is deferred until you leave school or your enrollment drops below half-time status. There are two types of Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized.

  • What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized loan?

    The federal government pays the interest on a subsidized loan for you while you are in school. However, the interest on an unsubsidized loan will accrue while you are in school.

  • Do I have to pay the interest on an unsubsidized loan while I am in school?

    No, you do not have to pay any interest while you are in school. However, you may choose to make payments in an effort to keep the interest down. When you leave school, the accrued interest on the unsubsidized loans will be capitalized (added to the principal). You will then pay interest on the interest that has been capitalized.

  • Why didn't I receive a subsidized Stafford Loan?

    Your eligibility for a subsidized Stafford Loan is determined by the results of the FAFSA. The calculation also includes any other grants or scholarships that you may receive.

Paying for College

  • My financial aid is not sufficient. What should I do?

    There are several options to assist you in covering the gap between your charges and your financial aid. You may make a cash payment (this includes checks and credit cards) or sign up for the payment plan. Both of these options may be accomplished by speaking with the Student Accounts Office. Options through the Financial Aid Office include a private education loan or a Parent PLUS loan (for dependent students only). Please visit the Sources of Financial Aid page for more information.

  • How can I set up payment arrangements online?

    Payment arrangements can be set up using a semester payment through InsideCBU.

  • What do I need to do to have financial aid next year?

    You will need to submit a new FAFSA to the federal Department of Education after January 1 for the following year. Once you register for classes for the following fall (usually in early spring), we will check for your FAFSA. If we need additional information, we will contact you. Unlike your first year, you will receive an award letter only after you've provided any additional documents that we request.

Getting Help

  • Can I meet with a financial aid counselor?

    You may meet with a financial aid counselor any time you have questions or need assistance. Simply contact our office at (951) 343-4236 or toll free at (877) 228-8855 to set up an appointment.