Richard Baumer, PhD
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Chair of the Department of Aerospace, Industrial and Mechanical Engineering
Office Phone: 951-552-8252 E-mail: email@example.com Office Location: College of Engineering Building, TEGR 338 Office Hours:
|PhD||Materials Science and Engineering||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||2013|
|BSE||Materials Joining Engineering||LeTourneau University||2008|
Classes Taught at California Baptist University (2022-Present)
• EGR304 - Leadership Cohort
• EGR344 - Materials and Manufacturing Processes
• EGR444 - Mechanical Engineering Laboratory
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
• Advanced manufacturing: Development and control of advanced welding, additive manufacturing, and material synthesis techniques
• Material physics: Identification of performance-controlling microstructural mechanisms in advanced metal alloys
• Numerical simulation: Use of numerical material simulations to predict material behavior
Teaching Experience at Institutions Other than CBU
Classes Taught at LeTourneau University (2017-2022)
• ENGR 6600 – Graduate Seminar
• ENGR 4813/4823: Senior Design I and II
• ENGR 1311 – Manufacturing Processes Lab
• MJEG 4014/5933: Engineering Analysis of Welding
• MJEG 4213/5213: Welding Metallurgy II
• MJTC 4214: Joining of Metals
• MJEG 3114: Materials Science of Joining
• MJEG 4404: Joining of Advanced Materials
• MJET 2634/MJEG 4304: Joining Processes and Power Systems
Research, Presentations, & Publications
T. Nam Vu, K. Krishnan, J. Sisk, R. Phillips, A. Wells, S. Hill, K. Gabbert, R.E. Baumer, Welding Procedure Development for a 13Cr-5Ni-2Mo (UNS S41426) Super Martensitic Stainless Steel, NACE CORROSION 2021. Paper Number NACE-2021-16840 (2021). Link
T. Pickle, N. Henry, P. Morriss, L. Tennis, D. Wagner, R. E. Baumer. Root Pass Microstructure in Super Duplex Stainless Steel Multi-Pass Welds, Welding Journal, 98 (2019) 123s – 134s. Link.
B. Varbai, Y. Adonyi, R.E. Baumer, T. Pickle, J. Dobránszky, K. Májlinger, Weldability of Duplex Stainless Steels – Thermal Cycle and Nitrogen Effects, Welding Journal, 98 (2019) 78s – 87s.
R. E. Baumer and M. J. Demkowicz. A "figure of merit" for susceptibility of irradiated amorphous metal alloys to thermal spike-induced plasticity. Acta Materialia, 102 (2016) 251-262. Link.
R. E. Baumer and M. J. Demkowicz. Radiation response of amorphous metal alloys: Subcascades, thermal spikes and super-quenched zones. Acta Materialia, 83 (2015) 419-430. Link.
R. E. Baumer and M. J. Demkowicz. Prediction of Spontaneous Plastic Deformation of Irradiated Metallic Glasses due to Thermal Spike-Induced Plasticity. Materials Research Letters, 2 (2014) 221-226. Link.
R. E. Baumer and M. J. Demkowicz. Glass Transition by Gelation in a Phase Separating Binary Alloy. Physical Review Letters, 110 (2013) 145502. Link.
D. Bhattacharyya, M. J. Demkowicz, Y.-Q. Wang, R. E. Baumer, M. Nastasi, and A. Misra. A Transmission Electron Microscopy Study of the Effect of Interfaces on Bubble Formation in He-Implanted Cu-Nb Multilayers. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 18 (2012) 152-161. Link.
R. Baumer and Y. Adonyi, Transient High Frequency Welding of Dual Phase Steels, Welding Journal, 88 (2009) 193s - 201s. Link.
Community Service & Involvement
Summer Faculty Fellow, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division (Summer 2020)
The Dow Chemical Company (2013-2017)
• Senior and Associate Engineer, Dow Automotive Composites R&D (2015 – 2017)
• Senior Engineer, Research Assignments Program (2013 – 2015)