Krystal Hays, PhD
Associate Professor of Social Work Program Director, Doctor of Social Work
Office Phone: (951) 552-8145 E-mail: email@example.com Office Location: James 132 Office Hours: By appointment
|PhD||Social Work||University of Southern California||2017|
|MSW||Social Work||University of Southern California||2008|
|B.A.||Psychology and Social Behavior||University of California, Irvine||2006|
Introduction to Social Work
Social Work Practice 1
Advanced Clinical Practice
Direct Practice with Cultural Humility
Community Engagement and Social Innovation
Research Dissemination and Scholarship
Project Development and Implementation
Community Based Participatory Research Methods
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
Mental Health Promotion
African American Health
Teaching Experience at Institutions Other than CBU
University of Southern California
Research, Presentations, & Publications
2. Ellis, R., Hays, K., Hamilton, J., and Reyes, L., (in-press). Spiritual Outcomes of a Faith-Based Camping Program for Children of Incarcerated Parents. Under review at the Journal of the Christian Society for Kinesiology, Leisure and Sports Studies
3. Hays, K., & Costello, J. (2021). Churches as agents of community change: An introduction to the issue. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 1-6.
4. Hays, K., Flores-Carter, K., Costello, J., & Ellis, R. (2021). Enhancing supports to children of incarcerated parents: Introducing trauma informed training to church mentors. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 1-17.
5. Hays, K., & Costello, J. (2021). Exploring the Cultural Appropriateness and Feasibility of Mental Health First Aid in Uganda: A Case Study. Psychological Services
6. Costello, J., Hays, K., & Gamez, A. M. (2020). Using mental health first aid to promote mental health in churches. Journal of Spirituality in Mental Health, 1-12.
7. Hays, K., Shepard-Payne, J. (2020). Lived experience, transparency, help, and humility: Four characteristics of clergy responding to mental and emotional problems. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling
8. Hays, K. (2018). Reconceptualizing church-based mental health promotion with African Americans: A social action theory approach. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 1-22.
9. Hays, K. (2017) A Risk Typology for Depression in African Americans. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
10. Hays, K. & Lincoln, K. D. (2017) Mental Health Help-seeking Patterns among African Americans: Exploring the Influence of Religion. Race and Social Problems. 9(2), 127-138
11. Hays, K. & Gilreath, T (2017) Profiles of Depression Help Seeking among African Americans: A latent class approach. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease.
12. Shepard-Payne, J & Hays, K (2016) A Qualitative Exploration of Pastors' Candid Discussions on Mental Health and Healing, Mental Health, Religion, and Culture. 1-13.
13. Hays, K. (2015) Black Churches’ Capacity to Respond to the Mental Health Needs of African Americans. Social Work and Christianity, 42(3). 296-312.
14. Hays, K. & Aranda, MP (2015) Faith-Based Mental Health Interventions with African Americans: A Review. Research on Social Work Practice. 1-13.
Church Membership & Activities
Church Member: Transformation Church (formally Praise Tabernacle Bible Church)
Pre-Academy (preschool) Leader: Transformation Church
Bridge Team Leader (wellness ministry): Transformation Church
Community Service & Involvement
Advocates for African American Elders
CBU Social Work Assessment Committee, 2019-present
Journal Reviewer for Counseling Psychology Quarterly, 2019
Journal Reviewer for Advances in Social Work, 2019
Chair of CBU Social Work Curriculum Committee, 2018-present
Journal Reviewer for Religion and Spirituality in Social Work, 2018-presnt
Reviewer for Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2018-presnt
Journal Reviewer for Public Health Nursing, 2018-present
Journal Reviewer for Race and Social Problems, 2016-present
National Association of Social Workers, 2016-present
American Public Health Association, 2014-2015
Society for Social Work and Research, 2013-2017
Council on Social Work Education, 2013-Present
Pomona Valley Interfaith Collaboration on Mental Health, 2011-2013
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Pomona Valley, 2011-present
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, California, 2010-Present
Mental Health First Aid Certification, 2012
Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training, 2010, 2011
Black Social Work Caucus-University of Southern California, 2006-2008
Interests & Hobbies
Home DIY projects
Certified resource/foster family
"God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him. [...] God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes" Psalm 18: 20 & 24