Linn Carothers, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics Department Chair, Mathematical Sciences Mathematics, Statistics and Physics
Office Phone: (951) 343-4961 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Office Location: James Building, 472 Office Hours: By appointment
|Ph.D.||Educational Psychology and Statistics||University of Southern California||1987|
|M.Sc.||Biostatistics and Epidemiology||California State University, Northridge||1979|
|B.Sc.||Biological Sciences||University of Southern California||1973|
* Bertlozzi, A. and Rodriguez, A. Algorithms of Threat Detection, August 14, 2018
* Walsh, G. and Jeffrey F. Brock Applications of Topology, The National Academies,July 2018.
* Mitchell, Tom. Using Machine Learning to Study the Neural Representations of Language Meanings, CMU, June, 2017
* Datta, S. Mimicking Natural Ways of Computing in Solid - State Systems, Tuesday, NIST, February 28, 2017
* Reda, Sherief. New Directions for Energy-Efficient Computing Systems: From Sensing and Design to Runtime Management, NIST, January 17, 2017
* IBM, New Technologies for Improved Computer Performance, Robert Wisner, NIST, Dec 20, 2016
* UCSB, Roadmap for building a quantum computer, John Martinis, Google Department of Physics, University of California Santa Barbara, NIST, Nov 15, 2016
* CyberScience and CyberInfrastructure: A New Approach to Discovery in Science and Engineering NIST, ACM Division, Oct 25, 2016
* Benchmaking of Beyond CMOS Logic, NIST, INTEL 8, Aug 16, 2016
* Computational Thinking, Association for Computing Machinery(ACM), February 03, 2016
* Successful Qualitative Research, SAGE, May 27, 2015
* Data Analysis with R in HPC, TACC, February 20, 2015
* XSEDE Supercomputer Training Conference, CSSB, Apr 2014
* STEM SoCAL PKAL Regional Conference, Cal Poly, Feb 2014
* AMS Short Course, Random Matrices, JMM, San Diego, 2013
* MAA Minicourse #6 Using randomization methods to build conceptual understanding of statistical inference
* MAA Minicourse #15 WeBWorK: An open source alternative for generating and delivering online homework problems
* SIAM Data Mining in Official Statistics Workshop, Anaheim, CA, April, 2012
* MAA PREP: SAGE Open-Source Mathematics Software with Undergraduates, 2011
* Consortium for Mathematics and Its Applications (COMAP) Statistical Modeling, 2010
* SCASA Categorical Data Analysis, 1998
* Applied Statistics for Engineers
* Computational Mathematics
* Scientific Computing
* Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology
* Data Visualization
* Science, Technology and Worldview
* Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
* Survey of Mathematics
* Calculus I, II, III
* Introduction to Statistics
* Probability and Statistical Inference I and II
* Computational Statistics
* Discrete Mathematics
* Linear Algebra
* Modern Algebra
* Ordinary Differential Equations
* Numerical Analysis
* Number Theory and The History of Mathematics
* Mathematical Modeling
* Mathematical Education
* Child Evangelism
* Christian Education Curriculum and Methodology
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
* Applied biostatistics and epidemiology
* Mathematical modeling
* Longitudinal, multivariate and log-linear data analysis in behavioral, social and medical sciences
* Computational statistics and programming
* University of Southern California
* California State University, Northridge
* The Master's College, Newhall, CA
* Zhejiang Medical College, Hangzhou, China
* Fairview College, Jamaica
* Irpen Biblical Seminary – Irpen (Kiev), Ukraine
* Odessa Theological Seminary – Odessa, Ukraine
* Novosibirsk Biblical-Theological Seminary – Akademgorodok, Russia
* Shasta Bible College
* Institute of Creation Research
Research, Presentations, & Publications
Carothers, L. "Youth @ Risk: Data Mining A Longitudinal Cohort to Predict Patterns of Family Instability and Crime". Joint Mathematical Meetings, San Diego, Jan 11, 2018
ABSTRACT" Data mining a 18 year follow-up study of a large Danish Prospective Perinatal cohort identified key correlates of family instability that contribute to adolescent and young adult criminality. Comparative log-linear analyses of paternal crime, descriptions of the families’ patterns of stability, and socioeconomic status changes over the life of the offspring revealed predictive gender, family constellation and SES combinations at risk for criminal behavior. These techniques, visualizations and modeling provide socially significant examples to students of using applied mathematical techniques to suggest crime prevention interventions. (Received September 25, 2017)
Knisley, B., Morgan, J., Carothers, L and K. Haigh. "Integrating Health Data Sources to Identify, Stratify, and Predict High Utilizers of Public Systems" Proceedings of the 2017 Western Users of SAS Software Conference. WUSS,, Sept 21, 2017.
Carothers, L. "Laying Hold on Eternal Life" Sermon, Riverside Mandarin Baptist Church, July 30, 2017
Carothers, Linn " Where There's Smoke: Mathematically Predicting Risk of Residential Fire" ASA Conference, April, 2017
Khimani, S., Corso, A. and L. Carothers " Using Social Media to Identify Potential Criminal Activity ", NMS Conference, Feb 2017
Pangkee, Jacklyn and L. Carothers " Developing A Player Tracking Algorithm " NMS Conference , Feb 2017
Carothers, Linn " 3 Words for Victory -- A.S.K. " (Jer 29:11) ", GARBC Church Conference, Nov 5, 2016
Carothers, Linn, Corso, Anthony, and Reggie Doss. "Sports Analytics Research and A L.A. RAMS Football Life", Colloquium on Sports Analytics, CBU Staples Room, Oct 25th, 2016
Knisley, B., Morgan, J. and L. Carothers. Multiple Logistic Regression Classification for Clinical Decision Modeling Support Systems for High User Populations Acress Multiple County-wide Entities, MAA Southern California-Nevada Section Meeting, CSULA, , Oct. 22, 2016,
Carothers, Linn " Critical Math Models of Tr_th Decay -- The Telling Nature of U!" NMS Colloquium, CBU, Sept 27th, 2016
Knisley, B., Morgan, J. and L. Carothers. Multiple Logistic Regression Classification for Clinical Decision Modeling Support Systems for High User Populations Acress Multiple County-wide Entities., August, 2016, in press.
Carothers, Linn "3 Critical Challenges to 21st Century China Health Expectancies," National Health Expectancy Conference, Zhejiang Medical College, Hangzhou, China, May 27, 2016.
Benlian, Bryce and Linn Carothers. " Random Number Generators: The Good, Bad and Ugly" 8th Annual NMS Conference, Feb 20, 2016
Benlian, Pierce and Linn Carothers. " Landing Heads -- For Sure."
8th Annual NMS Conference, Feb 20, 2016
Knisley, B., Crosby, G., Carothers, L and M. Barth. "Assessing Health Risk of Obesity in Native American Adolescents," IJPHS 4.2 (2015): 94-101. Print.
Carothers, L. " Bridge to Supercomputing " California Baptist University, 14 March 2015, High School Outreach Conference
Carothers, Linn "Salty Mathematics: Crossing Archimedes with A Salt Shaker " 2014 Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 7th,2014.
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis" Joint Mathematical Meetings, Baltimore, Md Jan 15-18, 2014
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis." MAA Southern California-Nevada Section Meeting, Oct. 12, 2013
Barth, M., Wigginton,W., Stipeak, H., Crosby, G., Knisley, B. and L. Carothers. "Anthropometric indicators of obesity in Native American Adolescents and Exploratory Data Analysis." World Congress in Food Science and Technology, Hangzhou, China., Sept. 23-25, 2013
Carothers, Linn. "Out of the Salt Shaker: Using the Salinon to Teach Calculus Modeling" 38th AMATYC Annual Conference, Jacksonville,FL, November 2012.
Carothers, Linn "Living above the Pain: Keys to Raising a Resilient Jabez” American Scientific Affiliation, 2012 ASA Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
Sands IV, C., Jin, S, Carothers, L and C. Sands III. "The Health Status of Taxi Drivers in Jilin, China " 2012 Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 7th,2012.
Carothers, Linn. "Original Thoughts: Thinking Through The Creation/Evolution Debate. " January, 2012.
Carothers, Linn "JustKIDS -- A 5-day Summer Neighborhood Outreach Program" December, 2011.
Carothers, Linn. " Fingerprints of The Creator", Address to The California Association of Baptist Churches Round Up, Victory Ranch, November 12, 2011
Carothers, Linn. " Run to Win" Sept 10, 2011 Newport Beach Camp Retreat
Carothers, Linn. " Living Like God's @ Work " June 20 - 25 — W.E.S.T. Week at Victory Ranch
Carothers, Linn. " How to Be Remembered " March 20th, 2011, Crest Ave Baptist
Carothers, Linn. " Three Words to Change Your World, Eph 4:32 " Mar 13th, 2011, Crest Ave Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. " Three Marvelous Glories, John 17" April 3, 2011 Huntington Valley Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. " The R Principle" January 30, 2011 Huntington Valley Baptist Church
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking about Odd Data: Statistics and The Return of Christ" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Grace Baptist Church, Redding, CA. 24 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking about The Origins Controversy" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Millville Community Baptist Church, Millville, CA. 25 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Preparing Minds for Babylon U." Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Shasta Bible College, Redding, CA. 26 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Thinking that is APPROVED -- 2 Tim 2:15" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Millville Community Baptist Church, Red Bluff, CA. 28 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Do Animals Talk? The Horse says Neigh" Alpha/Omega Conference. Shasta Bible College and Graduate School. Shasta Community Church, Shasta, CA. 28 March 2010.
Carothers, Linn. "Living The Dream -- Eph 3:20" Women's Retreat. Victory Ranch, Moreno Valley, CA. 12 March, 2010.
Heiss, C., S. Shaw, and L. Carothers. "Association of calcium intake and adiposity in postmenopausal women", Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 27(2008): 260-266, Print.
Heiss, C.J., S. Shaw and L.E. Carothers, "Association of Calcium Intake and Body Composition in Postmenopausal Women" Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 105.8(2005),40, Print.
Mednick, Brigette, Robert L. Baker and Linn E. Carothers "Patterns of family instability and crime: The association of timing of the family's disruption with subsequent adolescent and young adult criminality " Journal of Youth and Adolescence 19.3 (1990), 201-220, Print.
Baker, R., B. Mednick, and L. Carothers. "Association of Age, Gender, and Ethnicity with Juvenile Victimization in and Out of School" Youth & Society 20(1989): 320-341, Print.
Howe, George F.and Linn E. Carothers, "Postfire seedling reproduction of Adenostoma fasciculatum H. and A." Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences, 79.1(1980): 5-13, Print.
Cannell, David and Linn Carothers. "Permanent Waving: Utilization of the Post-Yield Slope as a Formulation Parameter" J. Soc.Cos. Chem., 29(1978), 685-701, Print.
Glauser, F. AF Wilson, L Carothers, J Higi, D White and J Davis. "Pulmonary parenchymal tissue volume measurements in graded degrees of pulmonary edema in dogs" Circ. Res. 36 (1975), 229-235, Print.
Church Membership & Activities
* Membership: Magnolia Avenue Baptist (SBC);
* Lecturer, Iglesia Bautista de Casa Blanca (SBC); Crest Avenue Baptist, Riverside( GARBC)
* President, Fairview Baptist Bible College, Jamaica
* Senior Pastor, Oak View Baptist
* Family Life Pastor, Grace Baptist Church, Santa Clarita, CA
* Director of International Training, Slavic Gospel Association, Loves Park, Ill.
* AWANA Missionary to Greater Los Angeles Area, AWANA Clubs, Chicago, Ill.
* Bible, Marriage, Men and Women's Retreat Speaker
* Children's Evangelist/ Christian Education Trainer for AWANA and CEF
Community Service & Involvement
Voting Poll Worker and Supervisor
Speaker, Victory Ranch, Moreno Valley, CA
Pulpit and Sunday School Supply, Various Churches
Interests & Hobbies
* Fly fishing
* Gospel magic
* Family ministry in America, Africa, Asia and most recently the Caribbean
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15, NASB
Three questions for an approved life: (1) Is the Lord well pleased? (2) Is the labor well done? and (3) Is the LOGOS (WORD) well used?