Julian Mills-Beale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering and Construction Management
Office Phone: (951) 343-4873 E-mail: email@example.com Office Location: College of Engineering Building, TEGR 347 Office Hours: Mon/Wed 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
|Ph.D.||Civil Engineering (Transportation Materials)||Michigan Technological University||2011|
|M.S.||Civil Engineering||Michigan Technological University||2009|
|B.S.||Civil Engineering||Kwame Nkrumah Univ. of Sc. & Tech.||2004|
1. Scholarship from the US National Center for Asphalt Technology to participate in the 2007 Professor training course in asphalt technology.
2. Participant, 2010 Upper Midwest Transportation Materials Summit.
3. Professional training on characterization of asphalt transportation paving materials
Transportation, Soils and Foundations, Soil Mechanics, Introductory Chemistry for Engineers, Elementary Mathematics for Engineering Applications with Lab
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
• Pavement performance behaviour
a) Preparation, lab/field testing and performance prediction of HMA using Superpave™ standards.
b) Local calibration and validation of stress/strain transfer functions for the Mechanistic Empirical
Pavement Design Guide (MEPDG).
c) Fine and coarse aggregates physio-chemical characterization.
• Nanotechnology for civil engineering material characterization
a) Atomic force, scan electron and electron beam microscopes for the nano and atomic scale prediction of
transportation materials’ behavior.
b) Dynamic molecular simulation of asphalt binders and asphalt binder modifiers.
• Development of nanomaterials for use in civil engineering infrastructure
a) Utilization of carbon nanofibers to improve mechanical properties of pavement infrastructure.
b) Nanoclays as pavement modifiers in asphalt binder systems.
• Sustainable pavement/construction materials
a) Innovative use of aggregates - recycled concrete aggregates RCA), reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP),
steel slag, fly ash and mine rocks in pavements.
b) Development of Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA) technology.
c) Development of bioasphalt from bioresources – swine manure, forest and yard waste.
d) Crumb rubber, waste engine oil, e-waste plastics and waste plastic bags in pavements.
• Life cycle assessment (LCA) of civil engineering projects
a) LCA tools for the selection of optimum hybrid materials for asphalt pavements.
b) Guiding framework on bioasphalt development for asphalt pavement infrastructure.
c) Life cycle analysis of sustainable construction materials.
• Non-destructive testing in pavement engineering
a) Sensor testing technology
b) Falling weight deflectometer (FWD)
Civil Engineering Materials (Michigan Tech); Asphalt Pavement Materials (Michigan Tech).
Research, Presentations, & Publications
RESEARCH JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
1) Zhanping You, Julian Mills-Beale, Elham Fini, Shu Wei Goh and Baron Colbert. Evaluation of Low-Temperature Binder Properties of Warm Mix Asphalt, Extracted and Recovered RAP and RAS, and Bioasphalt. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (2010), doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000295
2) You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Justin, F, Roy, S., Odegard, G.M., Dai, Q., Goh, S.W., Nanoclay-modified asphalt materials: Preparation and characterization. Constr Build Mater (2010), doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.070
3) Liu, Y., You, Z., Goh, S.W., and Mills-Beale, J., A Post-processing Method for Dynamic Modulus Tests of Hot Mix Asphalt, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 7, 2010.
4) Mills-Beale, J. and You, Z., The Mechanical Properties of Asphalt Mixtures with Recycled Concrete Aggregates, Construction and Building Materials, Volume 24, Issue 3, March 2010, Pages 230-235.
5) Mills-Beale, J., You, Z., Williams, R.C., and Dai, Q., Determining the Specific Gravities of Coarse Aggregates in Michigan Utilizing Vacuum Saturation Approach, Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, Volume 23, Issue 3, March 2009, pp. 1316-1322.
6) You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Williams, R.C., and Dai, Q., Measuring the Specific Gravities of Fine Aggregates in Michigan: An Automated Procedure, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 37-50, March 2009, ISSN 1996-6814
7) Ong J., You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Tan, E.L., Pereles, B.D., and Ong, K.G., A Wireless, Passive Embedded Sensor for Real-time Monitoring of Water Content in Civil Engineering Materials, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2053-2058, Volume: 8 Issue: 12 , ISSN: 1530-437X, Dec. 2008
1) Mills-Beale, J. and You, Z., Measuring the Specific Gravity and Absorption of Steel Slag and Crushed Concrete Coarse Aggregates: A Preliminary Study. in “Airfield and Highway Pavements: Efficient Pavements Supporting Transportation's Future,” Proceedings of the 2008 Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference, ISBN 13 # 9780784410059, ASCE 2008 Airfield and Highway Pavements Conference held in Bellevue, Washington, October 15-18, 2008, American Society of Civil Engineers, pp. 111-121, 2008.
2) You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Williams, R.C., and Dai, Q., Investigation of a New Test Procedure for Measuring the Specific Gravities of Fine Aggregates in Michigan, Proceedings of 2008 Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting (CD-ROM), National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., January 13-17, 2008.
3) Presentation on “The mechanical properties of asphalt mixtures with recycled concrete aggregates”, at the 1st Int. Students in Industrial Ecology (ISIE) Conference in Tempe, Arizona.
4) Poster presentation on “Bioasphalt and Nanoclays – Innovative materials for durable asphalt road infrastructure”, at the 2010 Michigan Tech Sustainable Futures Institute (SFI) poster exhibition.
Church Membership & Activities
Past Youth Society President, Christ Chapel International Church, Accra, Ghana, West Africa.
Church Member, Bethany Baptist Church, Dollar Bay, Michigan
Community Service & Involvement
At Michigan Technological University, he co-founded and acted as the immediate past president of the Global City organization and also helped in promoting science/engineering education among K-12 kids in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Interests & Hobbies
Soccer, reads, travels, and site seeing
John 1:4 In Him was Life and that Life was the Light of Men