Frequently Asked Questions


  • What majors are offered in aviation science?

    Aviation Flight
    Aviation Management
    Aviation Dispatch
    Aviation Unmanned Systems
    Aviation Inflight Service

  • What minors are offered in aviation science?

    Aviation Dispatch
    Aviation Unmanned Systems
    Aviation Management
    Missionary Aviation

  • How many years are required to complete each degree?

    Each major is a four-year degree program with 124 units required to graduate from CBU with a bachelor's degree. The number of units required for each major varies. 

  • How do I prepare for the aviation flight program?

    Prior to beginning in the aviation flight program as a student without an existing FAA certificate or rating, the student will need to obtain a medical certificate of at least third class from an FAA designated medical examiner. This can likely be accomplished near the student's hometown prior to coming to CBU. If a student waits until starting classes at CBU before obtaining a medical certificate, flight training will be delayed unnecessarily. Therefore, CBU strongly recommends that students planning to enter the aviation flight program obtain an FAA third class medical certificate prior to the first day of class. Students will register for their student pilot certificates on the first day of their flight lab.  

    Aviation flight majors must provide a current US passport or original or certified copy of birth certificate with a government issued ID (typically a current driver's license) to satisfy TSA requirements for flight training. All international aviation flight students are responsible for complying with the TSA alien flight training/citizenship validation rule.

  • How does aviation science at CBU compare to programs such as those offered by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University or University of North Dakota?

    The Department of Aviation Science at CBU has been created with other collegiate aviation programs in mind. We offer a unique educational experience with a Christian focus, and yet our academics are first-rate, allowing us to offer programs that are comparable to those offered by larger collegiate aviation programs. Also, with our smaller class sizes, we offer students one-on-one interaction with expert faculty that may not be possible at larger programs. You can make a name for yourself in CBU aviation science! CBU also offers an MBA in aviation management



  • What will it cost?

    In addition to current CBU tuition and fees (including room and board), various aviation science courses have additional fees. 

    Additional fees for the aviation flight major total $66,800 and include the private pilot certificate, instrument rating, commercial certificate, multi-engine rating, CFI and CFII. 

    Additional fees for the aviation dispatch major total $950 and include a three-hour flight experience, the private pilot FAA written exam, the instrument pilot FAA written exam and the commercial pilot FAA written exam.

    Additional fees for the aviation management major total $1,350 and include a three-hour flight experience, the AAAE ACE Ops exam and the AAAE certified member exam. 

    Additional fees for the aviation unmanned systems major total $58,625 and include the private pilot certificate, instrument rating, commercial certificate and various UAS lab fees.

    Additional fees for the aviation inflight services major total $4,150 and include the private pilot FAA written exam and a one-week flight attendant training program through an off-site training vendor.

    CBU tuition and fees (including flight lab fees) are reviewed annually and subject to change. Please see the current lab fees for more information.

  • Are scholarships available?

    A handful of scholarships are generally awarded to top aviation science students each fall.  Students are encouraged to apply for numerous national aviation scholarships. Our department secretary can provide information on these scholarships. 


Flight Training

  • Where is flight training conducted?

    All flight training is conducted at the Riverside Municipal Airport, which is a class D, towered airport, located about two miles from the CBU campus. Students will need personal transportation between the main campus and the CBU Flight Operations Center located at the Riverside Municipal Airport. A shuttle service operated by CBU is only available for classes taught in the CBU Flight Operations Center. For individual flight labs, students will need to arrange transportation to the airport. 

  • What is the CBU Flight Operations Center?

    The CBU Flight Operations Center is located at the Riverside Municipal Airport at 6865 Airport Drive, Riverside, California. This center has been specifically designed for use by aviation flight students. It includes two classrooms, a conference room, a flight planning area, a testing center, a simulator room, briefing/debriefing areas, study areas, student lounge, full kitchen, faculty and staff offices and outdoor patio areas. 

  • What type of aircraft will I be training in?

    Single-engine flight training will be conducted in Cessna 172 aircraft, which are very safe and capable aircraft. Commercial single-engine flight training is conducted in a Piper Arrow. Multi-engine training is conducted in a Beechcraft Duchess twin-engine aircraft. 

  • Are flight simulators part of the training program?

    The Flight Operations Center houses two flight simulators, manufactured by Precision Flight Controls. Our newest simulator is a DCX-MAX. Use of simulation lowers overall flight training costs and provides many advantages, even allowing a certain number of flight hours to be logged. 

  • How will the Boeing 727 be used for aviation science students?

    On January 10, 2013, FedEx flew a Boeing 727 (N266FE) from Memphis International Airport directly to Riverside Municipal Airport to donate this aircraft to CBU and our aviation science department. In the deed of gift signed between CBU and FedEx, we have agreed to never fly the aircraft, nor sell parts from the aircraft. However, this aircraft benefits aviation science students as a ground-based trainer. The aircraft has been integrated into the aviation flight program as a turbine systems trainer.

  • How many flight hours will I graduate with?

    Although this will vary with each student, it is expected that aviation flight students will earn 250–300 flight hours prior to graduation. If a student is hired as a Certified Flight Instructor prior to graduation, the number of flight hours a student will have prior to graduation may be significantly higher.