It is strongly recommended that each individual have a medical examination and physician approval prior to engaging in any activity sponsored by the Recreation Center.
All individuals must sign and submit a completed waiver of liability form prior to participation.
The following are to protect the rights of eligible users:
• Participants gain entry into all Recreation Center facilities by presenting a valid CBU ID card at the reception desk.
• Any attempt to gain, or provide, unauthorized entry into Recreation Center facilities may result in suspension of privileges.
• All organized group activities must be approved by the Recreation Center director in advance of the activity.
• The Recreation staff reserves the right to request appropriate identification at any time.
The following are to maintain clean and hygienic facilities and equipment:
• Spray disinfectant and hand towels are provided for users to wipe down upholstery, equipment and accessories.
• Loose chalk is not permitted in any area. Weightroom users may use liquid or block chalk (e.g., sock chalk).
The following are not permitted:
• Food, beverage, gum and glass containers are not permitted in any Recreation Center activity area. Re-sealable, plastic, personal water bottles are permitted.
• Footwear with marking soles, open-toes and bare feet
• Jeans, cut-offs, clothes with rivets or other clothing items that could potentially damage equipment
• Photography including camera phone use. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the Recreation Center director.
• Bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, etc. inside the Recreation Center facilities
• Metal cleats
• Inappropriate language or individuals behaving offensively; profanity and suggestive comments are not tolerated.
• Only the amount of equipment necessary to play the sport may be checked out (i.e., 1 basketball, 2 racquets, etc.).
• Any equipment checked out under a patron's account becomes their responsibility and must be returned.
• It is the responsibility of the patron to inspect the equipment being rented to them for any previous damage.
• Any damage incurred beyond normal wear and tear (i.e., bent/broken racquet) will be assessed a replacement fee. Damage is assessed upon the return of the equipment to the equipment desk. All late, lost or damaged equipment is subject to a fee.
• See www.calbaptist.edu/recreation for a list of equipment available.
The following are to encourage an inclusive, welcoming atmosphere:
• The Recreation Center is intended for the recreation and fitness needs of the general student body and CBU employees. Athletic team practices, coached workouts or the perception of such are considered on a case-by-case basis. Requests must be submitted in advance for consideration and approval by the Recreation Center director or the Community Life office.
• Personal music players with headsets are encouraged.
• Mobile phone use is discouraged in all activity areas.
• Participants must abide by all posted and written rules as well as comply with policy requests made by staff members.
• No individual may use Recreation Center facilities for personal financial gain or for any form of solicitation without the prior written approval of the Recreation Center director or the Community Life office.
The following are to provide a safe and reduced-risk environment:
• The Recreation staff has authority in all decisions related to participant safety, potential facility or equipment damage, or noncompliance with facility guidelines or staff requests. This includes the authority to immediately modify, limit or discontinue any activity.
• Recreation staff will respond to all facility situations and initiate appropriate response to all participant injury situations. Recreation staff members are certified in CPR/AED and/or First Aid. Injury response is coordinated in conjunction with the Safety Services office and Student Services office.
• Injuries must be reported to a Recreation staff member immediately.
• Defective or inoperable equipment must be reported to a Recreation staff member immediately.
• There is zero tolerance for individuals involved in physical or verbal altercations.
• Security cameras are in place to monitor access doors and activity areas.
• Activity areas must be clear of personal items. Backpacks and gear bags should be stored in lockers or cubbies.
• All lockers are day-use lockers and must be cleared by the close of the facility.
• All informal recreation activities must be consistent with the designed purpose of each facility area.
• All lost and found items should be brought to the reception desk. All unclaimed IDs are submitted to University Card Services. All other items can be collected at the Safety Services office.
• Collars should be used on all freestanding barbells.
Track/Turf Field Policies
• During approved Recreation Center activities, the field will not be available for drop-in play.
• Track/turf field will be closed during inclement weather.
• Trash must be placed in appropriate containers. Glass containers are prohibited at all times.
• The Recreation Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
• Use of metal cleats is not permitted.
• Do not attempt to retrieve balls that have gone over the side of the building. Contact Recreation staff.
The Recreation staff reserves the right to refuse service to any participant who violates any policy or engages in verbal or physical abuse. An individual's failure to abide by the Recreation Center policies and directions of Recreation staff may result in a suspension of Recreation Center privileges as well as subject to sanctions for violation of the Standard of Student Conduct as set forth in CBU's Student Handbook, and/or constitute grounds for discipline under the CBU Employee Manual, as the case may be.