Parents and Family
“The Career Center prepares students to identify and engage in their chosen professions with excellence and integrity.”
Parents and families can also assist students with career needs by offering support and feedback while encouraging them to utilize the free resources the CBU Career Center offers.
We encourage parents and families to:
- Familiarize yourself with the CBU Career Center.
- Stay connected: Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.
- If you are an employer: Hire CBU students!
- Donate professional clothing to CBU’s wardrobe closet (email us for more information).
- Join the CBU Parents Association
- Explore giving opportunities.
Career Center Resources
- FOCUS 2 Assessment
This assessment combines your values, interests, skills and goals and shows career and major options that might fit you.
- What Can I Do With My Major?
Use this resource to look up your major or potential major to discover available career paths, potential employers and strategies to be a competitive candidate.
CBU Career Center's online platform allowing students and alumni to find career opportunities, communicate with over 9,000 worldwide employers and learn about upcoming CBU Career Center events.
- 4 Year Roadmap
This step-by-step 4 Year Roadmap advises students on the actions they should take each year of their college experience to best set them up for success after they graduate.
- What Parents Need to Know
It is never too early for your student to be thinking about their career goal. The Career Center prepares students to identify and engage in their chosen professions with excellence and integrity. We serve as a connection between education and a student’s career objectives by providing students with opportunities and resources for professional career development.
We invite you to partner with us by encouraging your student to begin considering their career goals, and to utilize the resources that the Career Center has to offer.
We suggest that students visit the Career Center at least one time per semester to stay up to date on important events, and to ensure that they are on track to not just graduate, but to graduate with a plan!
There Are Four Major Stages in Career Preparation That We Focus On:
- Choosing a Major within One’s Identified Strengths and Skills
- Creating a Career Path
- Developing Professionally
- Obtaining Internships and Employment
The Practical Services We Provide to Make This a Reality Include:
- Handshake - An online platform where students make appointments with the Career Center team, apply for on and off-campus employment, see upcoming events, and access online resources and videos
- Resume, Cover Letter, LinkedIn, and Handshake Profile Reviews
- Mock Interviews
- Career Path and Internship Guidance Appointments
- Career Fairs
- Employer Information Sessions
- Major and Career Assessments
- Classroom Presentations
- What Students Need to Know
The Career Center is available to you whether you are undergraduate, graduate, online student or an Alumnus. The Career Center prepares students to identify and engage in their chosen professions with excellence and integrity. We serve as a connection between education and a student’s career objectives by providing students with opportunities and resources for professional career development. We encourage you to get to know us and allow us to be an integral part of your university experience!
Career Center Services
- Major Guidance
- Career and Internship Guidance
- Mock Interview
- Resume, Cover Letter, Handshake and LinkedIn Profile Reviews
Handshake (The Career Center’s Official Online Platform)
- Schedule appointments with a Career Counselor
- Find on and off-campus, internship, and career opportunities worldwide
- View upcoming events and career fairs
- Receive personal feedback on resume and cover letters
- Access resources on resumes, LinkedIn, interview tips and more
- Connect with students, alumni, and employers
- Video Tutorials
- Resume and Cover Letter samples and building tips
- Interview Tips
- LinkedIn Profile Building
- Negotiating Salary
- Preparing for Graduate School
- International Student Tips
- Preparing for an Informational Interview
- 9 Career Fairs every school year
- 2 LinkedIn Seminars
- Employer Information Presentations
- Employer Information Booths
Major and Career Assessments
Wardrobe Closet (will resume when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted)
- Rent professional clothes for an interview or career fair for free