It is strongly recommended that each patron have a medical examination and physician approval prior to engaging in any activity sponsored by the Recreation Department.
RECREATION CENTER POLICIES
The CBU Recreation Center staff reserves the right to refuse service to any patron who violates policy or engages in verbal or physical abuse. Failure to abide by Recreation Center policy and/or directions of Recreation Center staff may result in a suspension of Recreation Center privileges, Judicial Action as set forth in the Student Handbook, and/or constitute grounds for discipline under the CBU Employee Manual.
Use of Facility
- Patrons must abide by all posted and written rules and comply with policy-related directives made by staff members.
- The Recreation Center is dedicated to the recreation and fitness needs of CBU students and employees.
- Requests for athletic team practices, coached workouts, and associated activities are reviewed on a case-by-case basis; requests must be submitted in advance for consideration and approval by the Senior Director of Campus Recreation or the Assistant Director of Recreation Facilities.
- No individual may use Recreation Center facilities for personal financial gain or for any form of solicitation without the prior written approval of the Senior Director of Campus Recreation or the Assistant Director of Recreation Facilities.
- The Recreation Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
Access and Identification
- All patrons must present a valid CBU ID card at the reception desk to enter all Recreation Center facilities.
- It is strongly recommended that each patron have a medical examination and physician approval prior to engaging in any activity sponsored by the Recreation Department.
- All patrons must sign and submit a completed waiver of liability prior to use of the Recreation Center.
- Any attempt to gain, or provide, unauthorized entry into Recreation Center facilities may result in suspension of privileges.
- All organized group activities must be approved by the Senior Director of Campus Recreation or the Assistant Director of Recreation Facilities in advance of the activity.
- The Recreation Center staff reserves the right to request a patron’s identification at any time.
Prohibited Items and Activity
- Any food, beverage, gum, and glass containers are not allowed in the Recreation Center. Resealable, plastic, personal water bottles are acceptable.
- Apparel may not display drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, satanic symbols, inappropriate language and/or symbols.
- Photography including camera phone use. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the Senior Director of Campus Recreation or the Assistant Director of Recreation Facilities.
- Bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, etc.
- Inappropriate language, offensive behavior, profanity, and suggestive comments.
- The use of personal media (music, podcasts, movies, etc.) without headphones or earbuds.
- Only the amount of equipment deemed necessary by Recreation Center staff to play a sport may be checked out. (i.e., one basketball, two racquets, etc.)
- Any equipment checked out under a patron’s account becomes the respective patron’s responsibility and must be returned at the conclusion of use.
- Patrons are responsible for inspecting rental equipment for damage prior to use.
- Patrons will be assessed a replacement fee for any damage incurred beyond normal wear and tear (i.e., bent/broken racquet). Damage is assessed upon the return of the equipment to the reception desk. All late, lost, or damaged equipment is also subject to a fee.
Safety, Injuries, and Risk Reduction
- The Recreation Center staff has authority in all decisions related to patron safety, potential facility or equipment damage, or noncompliance with facility guidelines. This includes the authority to immediately modify, limit, or discontinue any activity.
- Recreation Center staff will respond to all facility situations and initiate appropriate response to patron-related injury situations. Recreation Center staff members are certified in CPR/AED and or First Aid. Injury response is coordinated in conjunction with the Safety Services Office and Student Services Office.
- Injuries must be immediately reported to a Recreation Center staff member.
- Defective or inoperable equipment must be immediately reported to a Recreation Center staff member.
- There is “Zero Tolerance” for patrons involved in physical or verbal altercations.
- Security cameras are in place to monitor all access doors and activity areas in the facility.
- Activity areas must remain clear of personal items. All bags should be stored in a locker.
- All lockers are day-use lockers only and must be cleared by the close of the facility.
- All informal recreation activities must be consistent with the designed purpose of each facility area.
- Collars must be used on all freestanding barbells.
- All lost and found items should be reported to the reception desk. Unclaimed CBU ID cards will be submitted to University Card Services. All other items are submitted to the Safety Services Office.
- Tops must fully cover the chest, back and torso and must reach past the wearer’s waist.
- Bottoms must be long enough to fully cover the wearer’s buttocks and upper thigh.
- Jeans, cut-offs, clothes with rivets, or other clothing items that may potentially damage equipment are not permitted.
- Shoes that are athletic-style, closed-toed and closed-heeled with non-marking soles must be worn at all times. Boots, metal cleats, crocs, flip flops, slides, slippers, and bare feet are not permitted.
- Trash must be placed in designated receptacles.
- Spray disinfectant and hand towels are provided for patrons to wipe down upholstery, equipment, and accessories.
- Loose chalk is not permitted in any area. Patrons may use liquid or block chalk provided by the Recreation Center (e.g., sock chalk).
Track and Turf Field
- During approved Recreation Center activities, the field will not be available for drop-in play.
- Track/turf field will be closed during inclement weather.
- Patrons may not attempt to retrieve balls that have gone over the side of the building. Contact Recreation Staff if a ball is lost so they may retrieve it at their earliest convenience.