Note that the CBU Recreation Center is only available to current students, staff and faculty and their spouses.
Please take a look at the health and safety measures we aim to have in place for when we reopen.
- Accessing the Facility
Accessing the Facility
- All members of the CBU community must present a valid CBU ID Card to access the facility.
- Check-in is contactless.
- Temperature checks will be taken upon entry.
- Masks are required to enter and use the facility.
- All members of the CBU community must bring and present their own sweat towel upon entrance.
- Facility Details
- Water fountains are not available (water bottle fillers ARE still available so bring a water bottle!).
- Showers and locker room lockers are not available; cubby lockers located on the first floor of the building are available, but space is limited.
- Basketball courts will be open for shoot-around use. (Only one person per ball and two people per hoop. Shoot-around play only.)
- The rooftop track and open space is available for general use and the soccer field is open for shoot-around play only (one person per ball).
- Equipment Checkout and Reservations
Equipment Checkout and Reservations
- BYOE (Bring Your Own Equipment): Please bring your own sweat towel, water bottle, mat, etc. Currently there is no equipment available for checkout. Please bring your own equipment. Locker space is limited and bags are not allowed on the workout floors.
- Equipment is intentionally separated or closed off to encourage appropriate distancing.
- Please keep all weight plates with the machine they are designated for.
- Physical Distancing
- Physical distancing of 6 feet or more should be observed at all times.
- All areas have a maximum capacity that will be enforced in order to make sure there is proper space available for distancing.
- No spotting (supporting another person during an exercise) or using multiple machines/pieces of equipment at one time is allowed.
- Cleaning and Disinfecting
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Please spray (wait 30 seconds) and wipe before AND after you use equipment (do not spray electronic portion; just wipe with the towel).
- Recreation staff will disinfect high-touch surfaces throughout the day.
- The facility will be disinfected at the end of each day and during a designated mid-day time when the facility will be temporarily closed.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the facility.
The Recreation Center is using the following cleaning products to clean and disinfect all areas. For more information on any of these products, click on its photo below to view or download the data sheet.
It is strongly recommended that each patron have a medical examination and physician approval prior to engaging in any activity sponsored by the Recreation Department.
All patrons must sign and submit a completed Waiver of Liability prior to use of the Recreation Center.
Use of Facility
- Patrons must abide by all posted and written rules and comply with policy-related directives made by staff members.
- The Recreation Center is dedicated to the recreation and fitness needs of CBU students and employees.
- Requests for athletic team practices, coached workouts, and associated activities are reviewed on a case-by-case basis; requests must be submitted in advance for consideration and approval by the Recreation Director or the Community Life Office.
- No individual may use Recreation Center facilities for personal financial gain or for any form of solicitation without the prior written approval of the Recreation Director or the Community Life Office.
- The Recreation Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
Access and Identification
- Patrons must present a valid CBU Card at the reception desk in order to gain entry into all Recreation Center facilities.
- Any attempt to gain, or provide, unauthorized entry into Recreation Center facilities may result in suspension of privileges.
- All organized group activities must be approved by the Recreation Director in advance of the activity.
- The Recreation staff reserves the right to request a patron’s identification at any
- Trash must be placed in designated receptacles.
- Spray disinfectant and hand towels are provided for patrons to wipe down upholstery, equipment, and accessories.
- Loose chalk is not permitted in any area. Patrons may use liquid or block chalk (e.g.,
Prohibited Items and Activity
- Food, beverage, gum, and glass containers. Re-sealable, plastic, personal water bottles are acceptable.
- Footwear with marking soles, open-toes and bare feet
- Jeans, cut-offs, clothes with rivets, or other clothing items that could potentially damage equipment
- Photography including camera phone use. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the Recreation Director.
- Bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, etc.
- Metal cleats
- Inappropriate language, offensive behavior, profanity and suggestive comments.
- The use of personal media (music, podcasts, movies, etc.) without headphones or earbuds.
- Only the amount of equipment deemed necessary by Recreation staff to play a sport may be checked out (i.e., one basketball, two racquets, etc.).
- Any equipment checked out under a patron’s account becomes the respective patron’s responsibility and must be returned at the conclusion of use.
- Patrons are responsible for inspecting rental equipment for damage prior to use.
- Patrons will be assessed a replacement fee for any damage incurred beyond normal wear and tear (i.e., bent/broken racquet). Damage is assessed upon the return of the equipment to the equipment desk. All late, lost or damaged equipment is subject to a fee.
- Visit www.calbaptist.edu/recreation for a list of equipment available.
Safety, Injuries, and Risk Reduction
- The Recreation staff has authority in all decisions related to patron safety, potential facility or equipment damage, or noncompliance with facility guidelines. This includes the authority to immediately modify, limit, or discontinue any activity.
- Recreation staff will respond to all facility situations and initiate appropriate response to patron-related injury situations. Recreation staff members are certified in CPR/AED and/or First Aid. Injury response is coordinated in conjunction with the Safety Services Office and Student Services Office.
- Injuries must be immediately reported to a Recreation staff member.
- Defective or inoperable equipment must be immediately reported to a Recreation staff member.
- There is “Zero Tolerance” for patrons involved in physical or verbal altercations.
- Security cameras are in place to monitor access doors and activity areas.
- Activity areas must remain clear of personal items. Backpacks and gear bags should be stored in lockers or cubbies.
- All lockers are day-use lockers and must be cleared by the close of the facility.
- All informal recreation activities must be consistent with the designed purpose of each facility area.
- Collars must be used on all freestanding barbells.
- All lost and found items should be reported to the reception desk. Unclaimed CBU Cards
will be submitted to University Card Services. All other items are submitted to the
Safety Services Office.
- During approved Recreation Center activities, the field will not be available for drop-in play.
- Track/turf field will be closed during inclement weather.
- Patrons may not attempt to retrieve balls that have gone over the side of the building. Contact Recreation Staff.
The Recreation staff reserves the right to refuse service to any patron who violates policy or engages in verbal or physical abuse. Failure to abide by Recreation Center policy and/or directions of Recreation staff may result in a suspension of Recreation Center privileges, Judicial Action as set forth in the Student Handbook, and/or constitute grounds for discipline under the CBU Employee Manual.
- Student Waiver
All students must download and complete a waiver in order to access the facility. If a student is under the age of 18, the waiver must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. Finished forms can be brought in to the Rec Center or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spouse Membership
Waivers MUST be signed by everyone utilizing the CBU Recreation Center. The ONLY people authorized to use the facility are:
- Current students, faculty, staff and their immediate spouses
Spouses need to have an active guest ID card. To get the card, the CBU student/employee needs to fill out the request form (below) and turn it into the Admissions office reception desk. In about 2 days, the CBU student/employee will need to return with their spouse to pick up their approved form, and then head over to University Card Services for the spouse to get their picture taken. There, they submit the approved form and a payment of $10 (cash only please). Please note that both the CBU individual and their spouse must visit the University Card Services office and present government-issued photo IDs in order for a spouse ID card to be issued. NOTE: If the government-issued photo IDs do not match last names and addresses, you will be asked to present a copy of your marriage license as verification.
Dependent guest card request form is available for download here.
- Core Values
Our full-time staff and student workers are dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming facility for all our Lancer family.
The CBU Recreation Center’s core values define who we are and why we do what we do. They are what guide and motivate us to do the following:
- We develop student leaders.
- We promote healthy and active lifestyles.
- We encourage the CBU community to honor the Lord with their bodies (1 Corinthians 6:19–20).
- We create a safe and accessible environment for recreation.
- We help the CBU community set personal fitness goals and work toward accomplishing them.
- We exemplify and recognize the importance of school spirit.
- We encourage students to make the most of their college experience.
- We serve as a facility that allows community to grow among students, faculty and staff.
- We proactively manage risk and respond to issues in a timely manner.
- Job Opportunities
Position Title: Facility Lead
General Information: The Facility Lead is responsible for ensuring the safety of participants in all areas at the Recreation Center and the supervision over student employees and work areas throughout the Recreation Center. Prior work experience within the Recreation Center for a minimum of eight months (two consecutive semesters) is required before becoming a Facility Lead. Standard First Aid certification is required prior to working a shift.
Position Title: Customer Service Attendant
General Information: The Customer Service Attendant is responsible for providing customer service to all Recreation Center participants and members. Customer Service Attendants are responsible for monitoring the access of Recreation Center facilities and activity spaces and dispensation of general equipment rentals. CSA’s assist the Facility Lead with ensuring the safety of all Recreation Center participants and the set-up and tear-down of informal recreation equipment.