International Graduate Applicants
|Session||Application and all documents submitted by:|
|Fall (September) Semester||July 1|
|Spring (January) Semester||November 1|
|Summer (May) Semester**||March 1|
**Summer semester admission is not available for all programs.
- Application Requirements
International applicants must provide the following to complete an admissions application:
- 1. Application
- 2. Application FeePay a non-refundable US $45 application-processing fee.
- 3. Bachelor's DegreeBy the time your program starts, you must demonstrate that you've graduated from a regionally accredited institution or the evaluated equivalency.
- 4. Official Transcripts
Send us the official sealed copies of all academic records (including transcripts, mark sheets and grade reports, as well as graduation certificates, diplomas and/or completion certificates) from all colleges and universities attended, showing dates of attendance, courses taken and grades received. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the educational institution to CBU. Electronic official transcripts and digital official transcripts sent from a school administrator may be accepted.
Transcripts received by CBU from a third party (including the applicant) are unofficial and cannot be used for an application file.
All records must be accompanied by a certified English translation. We recommend University Language Services.
Some programs, such as Nursing and Master of Architecture, may require the submission of a course-by-course evaluation of transcripts by an evaluation company. CBU recommends the International Education Evaluators (IEE).
Applicants may be asked to provide additional information in order to verify educational documents. If additional information is required, an applicant will be contacted by our office.
- 5. RecommendationsThe number and type (either professional and/or academic) of recommendations varies for each program. Recommendations may NOT be completed by family members or friends. Please refer to the individual graduate program page for more information.
- 6. An Essay or Personal StatementApplicants must complete a comprehensive essay, of at least 500 words, that includes the criteria set forth in the program's essay prompt. Please refer to the individual program's admission requirements page or to the Graduate Program Essay Requirements for specific essay criteria and more information.
- 7. English Language Proficiency
Applicants must certify English language proficiency by submitting a recent original official test score report. A current score report must indicate the applicant's name and test score; photocopies or scanned copies of score reports will not be accepted.
For Graduate students, you may demonstrate English proficiency from one of the following minimum scores:
- 80 IBT on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). CBU's TOEFL institution code is 4094.
- 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). No individual band below 5.0.
- 53 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
If scores are lower than the minimum requirement, or if no scores are submitted, the applicant may be admitted jointly to the graduate program and Intensive English Program (IEP). Students can only enroll in IEP courses and will receive language instruction until they submit a qualifying TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score in order to begin graduate program coursework.
For Doctoral students, you must demonstrate English proficiency with one of the following scores:
- 100 IBT on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). CBU's TOEFL institution code is 4094.
- 8.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Doctoral students must meet language requirements, and are not able to be accepted jointly to their doctoral program and Intensive English Program (IEP).
- 8. Interview
Complete a successful interview(s) with the director of the graduate program.
- 9. Additional Items
Certain programs may request one or more of the below items:
- Prerequisite courses: Most programs require completion of prerequisite coursework. Please refer to the individual program's admission webpage for more information (links below).
- Resume: You will need to submit a resume if you are applying for the MBA or kinesiology programs.
- Official test scores: Some programs require the GRE, GMAT or TEAS, but the type of test and minimum score vary by program.
- Research Writing Sample: You will need to submit a writing sample if you are applying for the English program.
- Chinese graduation access codes: For Chinese students who graduated from a university in China, we will need a 12-digit graduation access code. In order for our office to verify the information from your graduation certificate, we need additional information. Please visit this website in order to purchase the access code. Go to this website for instructions. CBU will verify your graduation certificate information through this website. The current cost for the access code is 2 RMB. Once you have obtained the access code, please forward the code to our office via email. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- Proof of Financial Support
Though an admission decision can be provided before financial documents are submitted, international students must submit proof of financial support before an I-20 will be issued. Documentation verifying the applicant's ability to meet financial obligations (tuition, fees, books, room and board, personal expenses and health insurance) for the first year is required by the US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. To determine the exact amount that is required to be demonstrated for the I-20 requirement, please review our Tuition and Fees page. Students must send the following items before an I-20 will be issued:
- The exact amount designated to the applicant for educational purposes.
- Completion of the Affidavit of Financial Support (Sponsor Form).
- Approval and Form I-20When the above procedures have been completed, the applicant's file will be evaluated. Upon approval of admission and proof of financial support, a Form I-20 will be issued.