To qualify for federal student aid you must be a US citizen or an eligible noncitizen enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 5 units per semester in order to be eligible for federal loans.


Did you earn your bachelor's degree at CBU? Find out more about the Lancer Loyalty Graduate School Grant

Federal and Private Loans

Federal Direct Loans are made available to university students to help pay for the cost of education. Students must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible. Students are eligible to receive Direct Loans regardless of credit history. For the 2023–24 academic year, unsubsidized loans are offered at a fixed 7.05% interest rate. 

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans are not based upon need and interest accrues while the student is in school. In order for loan funds to be applied to a student's account, they must complete entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans are available to graduate students to help pay for the cost of education. The federal government sets the interest rate, limits fees and sets minimum deferment options for federal Grad PLUS Loans. For the 2023–24 academic year, Grad PLUS is offered at a fixed 8.05% interest rate. This loan is available to students who need to borrow more than the maximum unsubsidized loan amounts to meet their education costs. A credit check will be performed during the application process. If you are approved, you must complete a new Master Promissory Note.

Private or alternative loans are available when federal loans and other aid do not cover your cost of education. Private educational loan programs vary by lender and all are credit based. Please review the list of available lenders. These lenders have provided excellent customer service and benefits designed to meet the needs of students. You are not required to borrow from one of the listed lenders; you may use another lender of your choosing. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you choose a lender that is not listed.

What Is a FAFSA?

Submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the starting point for accessing most forms of federal and state aid. Learn more or start an application. Avoid using sites that charge a fee to assist with the process.

Private Scholarships

Private scholarships are those offered from organizations, foundations or companies, usually not affiliated with a university. You can find many scholarships based on your personal traits, hobbies or career goals. The more effort you put into your search and applications, the more likely you are to get scholarships.

View a list of suggested private scholarships.

Contact Financial Aid

Phone: (951) 343-4236
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Yeager Center, Room D118
8432 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504