About the Program

1. When do classes meet?
Graduate courses at CBU are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of working adults. Classes are typically offered Monday and/or Wednesday eveneings. 

2. How long does the program take?
This program can be completed in 2.5 years or 8 semesters. Please contact the graduate program advisor at the Metcalf School of Education or attend an information session for more detailed program completion details.

3. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?
Yes. However, students will be required to complete 1,200 hours of fieldwork during their course of studies.

4. Will I have to complete fieldwork to finish my degree?
Yes. Students in the program must complete a year-long (1,200 hours) internship in the field that emphasizes preparation in mental health, child development, school organization, learning styles and processes, behavior, motivation, and effective teaching.

5. Can I apply my previous work experience to the fieldwork requirement?
Any work that directly fulfills fieldwork requirement and that was performed within one month of beginning fieldwork may be applicable with the approval of your CBU supervisor. All other prior work experience must be reviewed and approved by your CBU supervisor before application to the fieldwork requirement.

6. How do I find a site mentor for my fieldwork?
It is your responsibility to locate a site mentor, but you may consult with your supervisor for assistance.



1. What are the program's entry dates and application deadlines?
The M.S. in School Psychology typically begins in fall or spring, as cohorts are formed. 

2. What is the GPA/GRE requirement?
For Unconditional Graduate Standing, applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. For Conditional Graduate Standing, applicants who have GPA of 3.0 but also undergraduate prerequisite deficiencies, must:

  • Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA;
  • Remove prerequisite deficiencies;
  • Have the recommendation of the graduate program director in order to attain full graduate standing.


PPS Credential

1. Do I need a credential to practice as a school psychologist?
Yes. School psychologists must be certified and/or licensed by the state in which they work.

2. How do I get the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential?
Once you have completed the required coursework and fieldwork, you must contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4586 and request the credential application. Return the application along with the necessary documents and payment to the analyst who will apply for your credential (you may not apply directly to the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing). You must also be recommended by CBU for the credential. To follow up on the status of your credential, contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4586.

3. Is completion of a Master of Science in School Counseling or School Psychology required in order to complete the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential?
In most cases, yes. By completing the CBU PPS program, candidates will earn an M.S. in School Counseling or School Psychology in addition, to being recommended for the PPS credential. PPS students who have previously completed a master's degree may be eligible for the PPS credential without earning a degree. Please contact the School of Education for more information.

4. How long does the PPS credential program take to complete?
The PPS with a specialization in School Counseling takes approximately two years to complete. The PPS with a specialization in School Psychology takes approximately three years to complete. Classes are designed for the working adult, and are typically held one night a week.

5. I recently completed the Master of Science degree in Counseling Psychology (MFT) at CBU. Can any of my MFT courses be applied to the PPS credential?
Five CBU MFT courses may be applied to PPS credential requirements. However, courses used to complete the M.S. in Counseling Psychology may not be applied to a second master's degree. PPS candidates who have graduated from the CBU Counseling Psychology Program may be recommended for the PPS credential without being awarded the Master of Science. Please speak with the program director for more information regarding transfer course approval.

6. What are the prerequisites for a credential?
Students must have completed 12 units of undergraduate or graduate semester hours in general psychology, abnormal psychology or theories of personality, introductory statistics, and life span development or growth development and learning. Students must also demonstrate proof of having taken the CBEST. (A passing score is required by the end of the second semester of enrollment.)


Financial Aid

1. Is there financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?
Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for educators. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at www.teachcalifornia.org.

2. What are the typical salaries earned by school psychologists?
The mean salaries of school psychologists are:

  • $62,513 (200-day contracts) — for practitioners in public school settings
  • $65,398 — university faculty
  • $79,536 — administration
  • $59,660 — state department