In this step, you will learn how to register for your first semester classes at CBU.
First, you need to learn how to search for, add, drop, and swap courses on InsideCBU. Work through the tabs below before building your first semester schedule.
Once you are familiar with the course registration process, you can then register in your first semester classes.
HIGH LEVEL COMMERCIAL VIDEO, HERE, THAT GLOSSES OVER ONE'S ENGAGING IN THE ADD, DROP AND SWAP PROCESS (PANNING IMAGES - NO DETAIL), AND DIRECTS STUDENTS TO FOUR VIDEOS BELOW EXPLAINING: (1) WHAT ITEMS ARE NEEDED (E.G. BLOCK SCHEDULE, ORDER OF COURSE ENROLLMENT, ATHLETIC PRACTICE TIME SCHEDULE), AND IN GREATER DEPTH (2) NAVIGATION TO AND PROCESS OF ADDING, (3) DROPPING, AND (4) SWAPPING CLASSES. BESIDE THE ADD, DROP, AND SWAP VIDEOS INCLUDE AN ICON ENTITLED "Written Instructions" THAT WILL LINK OFF TO STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS IN TEXT AND STATIC IMAGE FORMAT.
- Before You Register
Order of Course Registration for First Semester Schedule
When registering in first semester classes, we recommend you start by registering in major classes, then required first semester classes, followed by general education classes as space permits.Remember, as space permits, we would recommend one or more GE's per semester so as to make good use of available tuition/unit space and assist with degree progress. If uncertain which general education class(es) to select, refer to major planning resources and the Recommended GE Course List, embedded in your Course Selection site.
The Block Schedule document is very helpful in organizing your course schedule and avoiding course time conflicts. Click the image below for access to the Block Schedule. It is recommended to print and use in the process of registration.
If you do not have access to a printer you can use Coursicle to plan out your schedule. Coursicle is not affiliated with CBU and should only be used for planning / visualizing your schedule. Schedule adjustments made by the student or by the university will not be reflected on Coursicle. Whether planning your schedule on a Block Schedule or on Coursicle, make certain you register in GST050, Chapel. Chapel is required for all students enrolled in 7 or more units.
Varsity Practice Times
If you are a Varsity Athelete, you will find this CBU Varsity Sport Practice Time sheet a great resource when registering for your classes. Click the image below to access it.
- How to Add a Course
How to Add a Course video:
This page will explain how to add classes. Please note, as you follow these steps certain Add/Drop pages will take a little time to load. DO NOT HIT THE BACK BUTTON - just let it cycle and when the page is completely loaded you can proceed.
1. Start by logging into InsideCBU.
2. From the Home tab in InsideCBU, click the Add/Drop Courses icon.
3. Select the Term in which you would like to register. For new students, starting Fall 2020, this will be FA 2020.
4. On the lower left click and complete the required Registration Agreement.
5. Scroll down and click on the More Search Options link in the Course Search box.
6. Scroll down and change the Section Status to OPEN. This will prevent closed courses from appearing in your search results and make your enrollment easier.
7. In the Course Code field type in the course code of the class you would like to add. The course code contains only letters and numbers, no spaces or hyphens.
8. You can further refine your search using the other filters on this page, however these are not required. Click SEARCH.
9. All courses and sections that match your search criteria will appear on the search results page. Before moving on, let's look at a few details in the search results.
First, the course code column contains the course code and section letter for the course. Different letters indicate the unique time, meeting days, location, and/or professor for that section. For example, while section A and section B of PSY213 are the same course, they are taught by different professors, in different times and places. This allows students to choose whichever section best fits their schedule.
The seats open column displays how many seats are currently available in that section. For example, "15/25" means that there are 15 out of 25 seats still open.
The schedule column displays the days that class will meet, the time of day for each meeting, and the location.
Note: R means Thursday.
Lastly, the Begin and End Date columns indicate the first and the last day of that course. Accelerated Online courses are only 8 weeks long and therefore have different begin and end dates (highlighted below in yellow). We do not recommend these sections for first-time freshmen.
From the list of results, check the Add box to the left of the Course Code and click on the “Add Courses” button at the bottom of the page.
After each add, take a second to read the Messages area above the schedule. This box will notify you of important information such as:
- Schedule Conflicts
- A prerequisite that has not been met
- If you are trying to add a course that is full
- If you are repeating a course previously taken (You are responsible for knowing if the course is repeatable. Please check the course description.)
If the course is added successfully, the message will indicate as such and the class will appear in your semester schedule below.
You can continue to add courses by repeating these steps. You may have noticed that GST050, Chapel was added to your schedule. Your Chapel section can be swapped, but not dropped from your schedule. Swapping is covered in the next section.
- How to Swap Courses
How to Swap a Course video:
1. To swap one course for another, click the bubble to the left of the course you would like to replace and then click the Swap button below.
2. Enter the search criteria for the new course you want to add and click Search.
3. Select the section you would like to add and then click Swap.
4. If the courses are swapped successfully you will see a confirmation message.
- How to Drop a Course
How to Drop a Course video:
1. To drop (or remove) a course from your schedule during the drop period, click the box to the left of the course you wish to drop, then click the Drop Selected Courses button. Once dropped, the course will no longer appear on the screen.
2. If the course is dropped successfully, you will see a confirmation message.
Note: Once the last day to drop has passed, this same process will result in a withdraw. Remain aware of all enrollment deadlines by referring to the Academic Calendar page on InsideCBU.
Having accessed and reviewed your Degree Guide and Major Planning Guide (Pre-Nursing Resources or Engineering Flowchart) you can now register for your first semester courses.
Be sure to register into at least twelve (12) units. Twelve is minimum for full-time status. While twelve (12) units is the minimum for full-time status, we highly recommend students enroll in an average of 15-16 units per semester. If you are not planning to be a full-time student please contact your Academic Advisor.
Any English Composition you might have been placed into (included in your e-mail), must be added into your first semester schedule.
Lastly, GST050, Chapel is required for all students enrolled in 7 or more units.
Once you have registered for 12 (or more) units, your Academic Advisor will review your schedule and contact you via email to let you know your registration is complete or if you need to make any adjustments.