Course Selection

In this section, you will learn how to access and read your

  • Degree Guide
  • Major Planning Guide
  • Recommended GE Course List

These resources are designed to assist you with course selection and degree planning.  Once you have learned how to select your courses, you will be guided through the registration process

  • 1. Your Degree Guide

    How to Access Your Degree Guide video:

    Your Degree Guide is a personal statement that shows your requirements and progress to degree completion.  It includes three main sections: (1) your major, concentration, and minor requirements, (2) your General Education requirements, and (3) your unit and GPA requirements. 

    Anatomy of a Degree Guide

    To access your Degree Guide, start by logging in to InsideCBU, using the ID and Password included in the e-mail we sent you.

    InsideCBU login screen

    Once logged in, click the Academics tab, followed by the Traditional Students link

    Navigation to Traditional Students screen

    On the right, under Establishing My Academic Plan, click Degree Guide

    Degree Guide link in Traditional student site new

    In the My Degree Progress Box click View All Details,

    View All Details button navigation

    followed by Printable Degree Guide (PDF File).   

    Printable Degree Guide link

    How to Read Your Degree Guide video:

    At the top of your degree guide, be sure to make note of your major and catalog year.  For illustration purposes, the student below is an Accounting major who is starting in the 2020/2021 catalog year.

    New Top Portion of Degree Guide 

    Each requirement area will be noted Incomplete or CompleteIncomplete looks like this:

    Incomplete Lower Division Accounting

    Complete looks like this:

    Completed Lower Division Accounting

    To graduate, all sections, categories, and courses must be Complete

    When reading your degree guide, pay special attention to requirement descriptions.  Below, we see a student who has completed 3 units of a 6-unit requirement area.

    Example of Requirement Description

    A course that is Incomplete will be blank, 

    Incomplete course on Degree Guide

    a course that is in-progress will include the course number, semester, unit value of registered class, and IP, 

    InProgress course on Degree Guide

    a course that is completed will include the grade earned,

    Completed course on Degree Guide

    a course or exam that has been transferred will include a transfer code and will be noted with a T, 

    Completed transfer course in Degree Guide.

    and finally, a course that is exempt will be noted with an EX.  

    Course completed by EX on Degree Guide

    An exemption (EX) means you have not earned units for the required course but have met the course requirement through other means, such as:

    • Completion of a higher level class than your original placement (more information on placement exams will be provided later).
    • Sufficient grade(s) earned in CBU approved high school course(s). Foreign language is the most commonly exempted GE.
    • CBU approved certifications (ex: First Aid & CPR certification through the American Red Cross).


    Next, let’s look at the Major Planning Guide.  

    While your Degree Guide is unique to you, Major Planning Guides can be accessed by anyone.

  • 2. Your Major Planning Guide
    Major Planning Guide located in Traditional Student site new

    Return to InsideCBU, and click on Major Planning Guides, under Essential Advising Resources.

    20-21 MPG

    Since you are starting school in Fall 2020, your catalog year should be 2020-2021. Click on the bar labeled 2020-2021 Major Planning Guides.

    Scroll to your major. Click the link.


    A separate tab should open. Now, you can view your Major Planning Guide.

    How to Read Your Major Planning Guide video:



    The Major Planning Guide has four main sections: Major Requirements, General EducationUnit Calculations, and Sample Plan(s).

    20-21 mpg

    Let's start with Major Requirements. When registering for courses, always select your major requirements first.

    major requirements

    The Major Requirements section shows you all of your 1) major course titles, 2) course prerequisites, 3) course units, and 4) special notes about each course, including semester offerings.

    title prereqs

    Pay close attention to any courses that have any prerequisites and specific course offerings first.


    For example, Accounting majors need to complete ACC250 Principles of Accounting I before they can complete ACC251 Principles of Accounting II. ACC250 is offered in Fall semesters, and ACC251 is offered in Spring semesters.

    Next, let's look at General Education (GE). This section shows you the typical GE needed for a student in this major. It also shows (highlighted in yellow) any GE that will be covered by your major. 

    tech ge

    For example, Accounting majors do not need to take a Technology GE. This course will be met by the major.

    To decide which GE courses to take, you will need to refer to your Degree Guide, the Major Planning Guide, and the Recommended Courses to Meet GE list, which you will learn about later.

    Below the GE section, there is a collection of numbers. This is where you can find the typical unit calculations for this major.


    This section shows you the total units required for the major (including upper division units), for GE, and any additional elective units that may be required. These numbers will vary from student to student, depending on your high school exemptions, transfer work, exam credits, and if you choose to declare a minor or double major/degree.

    Finally, scroll to the bottom of the Major Planning Guide. There will be at least one sample plan provided. Click the "4 Year Sample Plan" tab.

    4 year plan

    If you are a first-time freshman, you should be able to follow this plan from Fall 2020 to your graduating semester, Spring 2024.

    accounting 4

    Use the first semester as a guide for which courses to add to your Fall 2020 schedule.


    If you have any transfer work, exam credit, exemptions, or are planning to declare a minor or double major/degree, your first semester courses may vary from this sample.

    Some majors also have 3- or 2-Year Sample Plans. These are designed for transfer students who have completed most or all of their GE prior to starting at CBU.


    trx plan

    Please note that some majors (such as Architecture, Engineering, Music, and Nursing) cannot be completed in less than 4 years, due to course sequencing and offerings. 

  • 3. Your Recommended GE List

    For any General Education (GE) categories you wish to complete, we recommend only taking courses from the Recommended Courses to Meet GE list. This list provides you with recommended competency courses, as well as lower and upper division GE offerings. You must have at least 30 units completed to take upper division courses.

    Click here to download the Recommended GE list.

  • Challenging English and Math Placement
    Challenging Your English or Math Placements
    Your math and English placements were determined by any standardized test scores or transfer work submitted to CBU prior to admission. 
    English Placement

    Students must register into the class they were placed to complete their initial enrollment.

    Placed into ENG113E?  If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you are currently enrolled in or have completed what you believe to be a college-level composition course, or if you have taken the AP Language and Composition exam, speak with your advisor.  Transfer courses and exam scores may affect placement.

    If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you submitted your SAT, ACT or CLT exam scores to CBU, then this is your placement.  You can challenge this placement by taking the English Placement Challenge exam offered by Modern Languages and Literature.  Contact Professor Jennifer Tronti at

    If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you did not submit SAT, ACT or CLT exam scores, this is your placement.  You are free to challange this placement by taking the Accuplacer exam offered through the Office of Student Success bookings link

    Placed into ENG113? If your placement is ENG113 but you feel you should have been placed into ENG123, you can take a challenge exam prepared by the CBU Department of Modern Languages & Literature.  Those interested in taking this exam, contact Professor Jennifer Tronti (

    Placed into ENG123? If your placement is ENG123, this is the class in which you will need to register.  One cannot challenge out of ENG123.  Students who pass the challenge exam noted above will be permitted to register into ENG123. 

    Additionally, any test scores, transfer work, or AP English Language and Composition scores submitted after initial registration may result in a change to your composition placement.  Your staff academic advisor will reach out to you if this is the case.
    Math Placement

    Your math placement has been determined based on standardized test scores, transfer coursework, or AP Calculus scores you may have submitted to CBU.  If you would like to see if you can place into a higher level math course, you are free to take the Mobius Maa Math Placement Exam.  Additionally, test scores or transfer work submitted during or after online orientation may result in a change to your math placement.  Your staff academic advisor will reach out to you if this is the case.

If you have any questions, please contact your Academic Advisor.

Back to Step 1 - InsideCBU, or proceed to Step 3 - Course Registration.