Course Selection

In this section, you will learn how to access and read resources helpful in making informed decisions on course selection and degree planning.  Once courses have been selected, you will be guided through the registration process

  • 1. Access Your Major Flowchart
    In addition to your Degree Guide, Engineering students will access their program Engineering Flowchart.  This resource will serve as your roadmap for course selection and academic planning.  Your flowchart has been developed by faculty in your intended Engineering program -- there is one flowchart for each major.  To find your flowchart, follow the navigation below.

    Step 1: From navigate to the Gordon and Jill Bourns College of Engineering

    Engineering Flowchart Navigation Step 1

    Step 2: Find your Program of Study

    Engineering Flowchart Navigation Step 2a

    followed by the specific program you are interested in pursuing.

    Engineering Flowchart Navigation step 2b

    Step 3: Access the Department of Your Intended Major and Scroll Down

    Engineering Flowchart Navigation Step 3

    Flowchart (for Mechanical Engineering students)

    Engineering Flowchart Navigation Step 4

  • 2. Access Your Recommended GE Course List

    To determine which General Education classes you might consider registering into, you can access the Recommended GE Courses Lists specifc to your Engineering program.  Carefully note, some GE areas will be met by your major, and are noted as such on this list.  Be sure to not add GE classes in these catagories.

    To navigate to your College of Engineering Recommended GE List, follow the steps below:

    Step 1: Go to the Find My Advisor page (

    Step 2: Select your Intended Engineering Major

    Recommended GE Course List navigation FMA site

    Step 3: Access Recommended GE Course List tied to your Engineering Major

    Recommended GE Course List link in Engineering website

    Recommended GE Course List (for Mechanical Engineering Students)

    Mechanical Engineering Recommended GE Course List


    Freshmen who elect to take a GE, will enroll in a class at the 100/200-level.  You must have earned at least 30 units to enroll in an upper division class.  Upper division classes are any classes at the 300-level or higher.

  • 3. Access Your Degree Guide

    How to Access Your Degree Guide video:

    Your Degree Guide is a personal statement that shows your requirements and progress to degree completion.  It includes three main sections: (1) your major, concentration, and minor requirements, (2) your General Education requirements, and (3) your unit and GPA requirements. 

    Anatomy of a Degree Guide

    To access your Degree Guide, start by logging in to InsideCBU, using the ID and Password included in the e-mail we sent you.

    InsideCBU login screen

    Once logged in, click the Academics tab, followed by the Traditional Students link

    Navigation to Traditional Students screen

    On the right, under Establishing My Academic Plan, click Degree Guide

    Degree Guide link in Traditional student site new

    In the My Degree Progress Box click View All Details...

    View All Details button navigation

    followed by Printable Degree Guide (PDF File).   

    Printable Degree Guide link

    How to Read Your Degree Guide video:

    Start by noting your major and catalog year at the top.  For illustration purposes, the student below is an Accounting major, starting in the 2020/2021 catalog year.

    New top portion of Degree Guide

    Each requirement area will be noted Incomplete or CompleteIncomplete, looks like this...

    Incomplete Lower Division Accounting

    and complete looks like this...

    Completed Lower Division Accounting

    To graduate, all sections, categories, and courses must be Complete

    When reading your degree guide, pay special attention to requirement descriptions.  Below, we see a student who has completed 3 units of a 6-unit requirement area.

    Example of Requirement Description

    A course that is Incomplete will be blank, 

    Incomplete course on Degree Guide

    a course that is in-progress will include the course number, semester, unit value of registered class, and IP, 

    InProgress course on Degree Guide

    a course that is completed will include the grade earned,

    Completed course on Degree Guide

    a course or exam that has been transferred will include a transfer code and will be noted with a T, 

    Completed transfer course in Degree Guide.

    and finally, a course that is exempt will be noted with an EX.  

    Course completed by EX on Degree Guide

    An exemption (EX) means you have not earned units for the required course, but have met the course requirement through other means, such as:

    • Completion of a higher level class than you were originally placed (more information on placement exams will be provided later)
    • Sufficient grade(s) earned in CBU approved high school course(s). Foreign language is the most commonly exempted GE 
    • CBU approved certifications.  First Aid & CPR certification through the American Red Cross being one example


    While your Degree Guide is unique to you, the Engineering Flowchart can be accessed by anyone.

  • Challenging Your Math and English Placement
    Challenging Your English or Math Placements
    Your math and English placements were determined by any standardized test scores or transfer work submitted to CBU prior to admission. 
    English Placement

    Students must register into the class they were placed to complete their initial enrollment.

    Placed into ENG113E?  If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you are currently enrolled in or have completed what you believe to be a college-level composition course, or if you have taken the AP Language and Composition exam, speak with your advisor.  Transfer courses and exam scores may affect placement.

    If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you submitted your SAT, ACT or CLT exam scores to CBU, then this is your placement.  You can challenge this placement by taking the English Placement Challenge exam offered by Modern Languages and Literature.  Contact Professor Jennifer Tronti at

    If your placement is the 4-unit ENG113E and you did not submit SAT, ACT or CLT exam scores, this is your placement.  You are free to challange this placement by taking the Accuplacer exam offered through the Office of Student Success bookings link

    Placed into ENG113? If your placement is ENG113 but you feel you should have been placed into ENG123, you can take a challenge exam prepared by the CBU Department of Modern Languages & Literature.  Those interested in taking taking this exam, contact Professor Jennifer Tronti (

    Placed into ENG123? If your placement is ENG123, this is the class in which you will need to register.  One cannot challenge out of ENG123.  Students who pass the challenge exam noted above will be permitted to register into ENG123. 

    Additionally, any test scores, transfer work, or AP English Language and Composition scores submitted after initial registration may result in a change to your composition placement.  Your staff academic advisor will reach out to you if this is the case.
    Math Placement

    Your math placement into MAT095, MAT115, EGR181, EGR182, or EGR182L is determined by your standardized test scores, transfer coursework, or AP Math scores submitted to CBU. If your placement was MAT095, MAT115 or EGR181, and you would like to place into a higher level math course, you are free to take the Mobius Maa Math Placement ExamTest scores or transfer work submitted during or after orientation may result in a change to your Engineering math placement.  Your staff academic advisor will reach out to you if this is the case.

If you have any questions please contact your Academic Advisor.

Back to Step 1 - InsideCBU, or proceed to Step 3 - Course Registration.