- Minimum of 18 semester (27 quarter) units of study in English beyond the level of freshman composition with a grade of "C" or better
- Writing competence demonstrated by a major research paper or a literary analysis.
- An applicant whose first language is not English and/or does not have a degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction is be required to demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting a recent test score from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum score required to to display English language proficiency for admission to a graduate program is 80 IBT. If the score is lower than 80, applicant may be admitted to the INtensive English Program (IEP) and a graduate program while taking required language courses to meet the minimum TOEFL requirement.
- Successful interview with the Director of the Graduate Program in English.
In compliance with both state and federal law, California Baptist University does not illegally discriminate on the basis of any protected category, except to the extent it is necessary to fulfill its religious purposes, so as to be in compliance with the 2000 version of the Baptist Faith and Message.
Priority Application Deadline: Fall-April 1, Spring-November 1, Summer-February 1
Standard Application Deadline: Fall-August 1, Spring-December 1, Summer-April 1
- Completion of the application for admission with a non-refundable application processing fee.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution (or the evaluated equivalency of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for unconditional admission and 2.75 for conditional admission. Select programs in education have a higher GPA requirement. Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 may be considered for admission with the presentation of a minimum combined score of 1000 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or a passing score on the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET).
- Official sealed transcripts from all colleges and universities attended sent: Attention Graduate Admissions
- Three recommendations from sources who can personally attest to the candidate's potential for scholarly and professional success.
- Writing competence demonstrated by a major research paper or literary analysis sent
- Comprehensive essay that includes:
- Reasons for pursuing graduate study in English
- Long-term professional goals
- Reasons for choosing to study at CBU