William Flores, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Spanish Director of the Spanish Program Faculty Senate President
Office Phone: (951) 343-4646 E-mail: email@example.com Office Location: W.E. James Building, Room 285 Office Hours: MWF 1:00 PM - 2:00 PMTR 11 AM - 1:30 PM & Also available by appointment.
|Ph.D.||Spanish||University of California at Riverside||2011|
* Capstone Portfolio Courses
* Avant-garde Movements and the Postmodern Novel in Latin America
* Latin American Literature through “Modernismo”
* Colonial Latin American Literature
* Spanish Theater in the 20th Century
* Spanish Literature: Romanticism and Realism
* Spanish Literature: From the Middle Ages to the Golden Age
* Spanish Grammar and Composition
* Intermediate Spanish
* Elementary Spanish
* Spanish for Health Care Professions
* New Testament Greek
* New Testament Survey
Academic Areas & Scholarly Interests
* Latin American Literature (19th and 20th centuries)
* Literary Theory (satiric theory / postcolonialism / narratology / ecocriticism)
* Iberian Literature
* Second Language Acquisition
* Assistant Professor of Spanish, Hyles-Anderson College, Crown Point, Indiana.
* Spanish Teacher, Ocala Christian Academy, Ocala, Florida.
Research, Presentations, & Publications
* Flores, William. "Ecocrítica, colonización y El Arquitecto y el Emperador de Asiria de Fernando Arrabal: Subversión en la tradición satírica." Hispania 92.4 (2009): 673-680.
* Flores, William. Ecosophies, Technology, and Luddism: An Ecocritical Perspective to the Study of The Cosmic Race, Dona Barbara, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Storyteller, and Mantra. Diss. Univeristy of California, Riverside, 2011.
* Flores, William. “Willingham, Elizabeth Moore, ed. Laura Esquivel’s Mexican Fictions: Like Water for Chocolate, The Law of Love, Swift as Desire, Malinche: A Novel.” Hispania 95.1 (2012): 180-181.
* Flores, William. “Kanellos, Nicolás. Hispanic Immigrant Literature: el sueño del retorno.” Hispania 95.3 (2012): 553-554.
* Flores, William. “Voces indígenas y el mito del ‘noble salvaje’: continuidad colonial en discursos ecocríticos.” (Accepted for publication in Encuentros de viejos y nuevos mundos).
* “Indigenous Discourse and the Myth of the Noble Savage: Colonial Continuity in Environmental Movements.” National Association of Hispanic and Latino Studies Conference, San Diego, California. September 29 - October 1, 2011.
* “Ecological Consciousness and Anthropocentric Projects in Vargas Llosa’s The Storyteller.” 2011 AATSP Conference on Portuguese and Hispanic Languages and Literature. Redlands, California. April 23, 2011.
* “Voces indígenas y el mito del ‘noble salvaje’: continuidad colonial en discursos ecocríticos.” X Congreso Internacional de Literatura Hispánica, San Juan, Puerto Rico. March 2-5, 2011.
* "The Architect and the Emperor of Assyria of Arrabal: A Dialogical Response to the Discourse of Colonization of the Aborigine and of Nature." Symposium on Contested Territories: Conflict, Violence, and the Body at the University of California, Riverside. November 2009.
* "Planning, Faith and Learning: A Practical Approach to Christian Education." Conference on Christian Education for the California Southern Baptist Convention, Fresno, California. November 2009.
* “Arrabal’s Satire: Where Postcolonialism and Ecocriticism Meet." 2008 American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese Conference on Hispanic Literature, Redlands, California. November 2008.
* "Labores, errores y horrores del gobierno aprista 1985 - 1990." [A descriptive study written in the Spanish language on Peruvian economy and politics] Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Redlands, California. November 2006.
* "Diversos estilos de escritura en las obras de Pío Baroja." Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Redlands, California. November 2006.
Church Membership & Activities
* Iglesia Bautista Casa Blanca, Riverside.
Community Service & Involvement
President of the Roger Anton Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
California Baptist University
* Director of the Spanish Program
* Assessment Coordinator for the Spanish Program
* CBU Student Club Sponsor
* Faculty Senate President
Interests & Hobbies
"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
- Joshua 1:8-9, NASB