Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the program’s entry dates and application deadline?

The M.S. in Education with a Specialization in School Psychology typically offers a rolling admission policy, and accepts students for the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. Students may begin the program in any semester or term.

Students are strongly encouraged to have their application files, including all needed documentation, completed at least two to three weeks prior to the start of the semester.

2. What are the Prerequisites for Credential?

Students must have completed 12 units of undergraduate or graduate semester hours in general psychology, abnormal psychology or theories of personality, introductory statistics, and life span development or growth development and learning.
Students must also demonstrate proof of having taken the CBEST. (A passing score is required by the end of the second semester of enrollment.)

3. What is the GPA/GRE requirement?

For Unconditional Graduate Standing, applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. For Conditional Graduate Standing, applicants who have GPA of 3.0 but also undergraduate prerequisite deficiencies, must:

  • Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA
  • Remove prerequisite deficiencies
  • Have the recommendation of the graduate program director in order to attain full graduate standing.

4. How long does the program take?

This program can be completed in two years by taking 6 units in each of the Spring, Summer and Fall terms. Please contact the graduate program advisor at the Metcalf School of Education or attend a Graduate Program Information Session for more detailed program completion details.

5. Can I work full time while enrolled in the program?

Yes. However, students will be required to complete 1,200 hours of fieldwork during their course of studies.

6. Will I have to complete fieldwork to finish my degree?

Yes. Students in the program must complete a year-long (1,200 hours) internship in the field that emphasizes preparation in mental health, child development, school organization, learning styles and processes, behavior, motivation, and effective teaching.

7. Can I apply my previous work experience to the fieldwork requirement?

Any work that directly fulfills fieldwork requirement and that was performed within one month of beginning fieldwork may be applicable with the approval of your CBU supervisor. All other prior work experience must be reviewed and approved by your CBU supervisor before application to the fieldwork requirement.

8. When do classes meet?

Graduate courses at CBU are designed to accommodate the busy schedules of working adults. Most classes are offered Monday through Thursday evenings.

9. How do I get the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential?

Once you have completed the required coursework and fieldwork, you must contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4268 and request the credential application. Return the application along with the necessary documents and payment to the analyst who will apply for your credential (you maybe not apply directly to the California Commission on Teaching Credentialing). You must also be recommended by CBU for the credential.

To follow up on the status of your credential, contact the CBU credential analyst at (951) 343-4268.

10. Do I need a credential to practice as a school psychologist?

Yes. School psychologists must be certified and/or licensed by the state in which they work.

11. How do I find a site mentor for my fieldwork?

It is your responsibility to locate a site mentor, but you may consult with your supervisor for assistance.

12. What are the typical salaries earned by School Psychologists?

The mean salaries of School Psychologists are:

  • $62,513 (200-day contracts) — for practitioners in public school settings
  • $65,398 — university faculty
  • $79,536 — administration
  • $59,660 — State Department

13. Is there financial assistance available specifically for education professionals?

Yes, a variety of financial assistance options are available for educators. For more information, please visit the TEACH California web site at