Student Accounts Counselor
Under general supervision this position is to provide quality customer service by assisting students through the financial clearance process from matriculation to graduation; to set up payment arrangements; and to continuously monitor student accounts to insure proper billing, collections and refunds are taking place by performing the following duties. A 40 hour, 12 month position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Present a positive and supportive image of California Baptist University.
- Counsel students and parents regarding their financial obligation to the university.
- Explain the Universities’ policies and procedures as they relate to student accounts.
- Review student billing and financial aid awards to determine out of pocket costs and balance due; assist students with setting up a payment plan to cover.
- Work closely with Financial Aid, Office of the Registrar, Residence Life, Campus Life, Advising, Enrollment Services and other offices of the University. Maintain a positive working relationship with these areas and foster an atmosphere of goodwill and teamwork across departments.
- Thoroughly respond to inquiries from students, parents and staff by way of email, phone and in person.
- Monitor student account balances, keeping students informed of their account status. This may involve follow-up with the students regarding payment plans and the application of financial aid.
- Assist with collection efforts of past due accounts.
- Manage student account holds; verify clearance to register and to receive transcripts and diploma.
- Determine book voucher eligibility; issuance of book vouchers
- Initiate student refunds requests for students with excess funds or overpayments.
- Coordinate and follow-up on payment plans with the contracted tuition management service.
- Invoice and coordinate with Veteran Affairs, Employers, Department of Rehabilitation, ROTC, etc. for students with benefits from outside organizations.
- Maintain student files and correspondence.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position could be responsible for assigning work and/or giving direction to part time Student Workers, in order to complete office work assignments.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Through knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general office methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to gather data, compiles information, and prepares reports.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
- Excellent telephone courtesy knowledge and experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; and/or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.