CAREER DEVELOPMENT PLAN
The journey of career exploration and selection can be daunting. Our framework is designed to assist your son/daughter to keep this formidable task in a balanced and achievable perspective. We ask you to partner with us to encourage your son/daughter to fulfill the following objectives. It is my belief that regardless of how impressive one might begin a task, it will be in vain unless one finishes well. Only then can one be fully "skilled to serve."
FRESHMAN "SETTING A FOUNDATION"
Who am I? What are my inherent talent and skills?
- Complete Strengths Quest assessment offered in FOCUS class
- Meet and discuss results of assessment with Career Services staff
- Explore careers of interest via articles, career services library and online resources
- Identify courses taken that perk student's interest
- Take a Spiritual Gifts Inventory through Campus Ministries
- Become involved with school activities, e.g., intramural sports, discipleship/small groups and fine arts
SOPHOMORE "CHOOSING THE TOOLS" -
Which specific career(s) interest me?
- Declare an academic major
- Complete a "Work Statement" with a career counselor
- Investigate various careers related to chosen major
- Conduct "Information Interviews" with faculty, staff and/or professionals within chosen profession
- Obtain a part-time job or volunteer position that relates to chosen major/profession
- Participate in a campus ministry outreach such as an International Service Project or feeding the homeless within the community
- If called to full-time ministry, meet with Campus Minister as well as your home-church for confirmation and guidance
- Engage in discussion with peers, faculty and staff regarding integration of faith and careers
JUNIOR "BUILDING THE WALLS" - How can I be sure?
- Create a résumé and cover letter and critiqued by a career counselor
- Obtain an internship assisted by career services or faculty advisor
- Consider a semester-long, study abroad program to gain a broader global perspective
- Collect information about graduate schools/financial aid and register to take necessary professional school exams
- Attend career fairs to gain a greater sense of career resources and competition
- Research organizations that may be potential employers
SENIOR "FINISHING THE TASK" - Where will I serve?
- Update and refine résumé and cover letter
- Continue to obtain experience through an internship or volunteer experience within chosen major
- Attend a Business Etiquette Dinner sponsored by California Baptist University
- Practice interviewing skills and participate in mock interviews
- Request letters of reference from faculty and staff
- Attend career fairs
- Prepare thoroughly for interviews (researching companies' websites, salary ranges, etc.)
- Attend a Dress for Success workshop sponsored by California Baptist University
- Meet application deadlines for graduate and professional schools
- Communicate to EVERYONE career objectives for networking development and contacts for job interviews
- Continue Informational Interviews with professionals within chosen professional field
- DON'T SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST!